SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-01-19, 05:26 PM   #1
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed
Default Alex Salmond and abuse cases

Firstly let me point out this is not a political thread, we have plenty of them so please no politics. I have no axe to grind one way or another. Nor do I make any assumptions of the mans innocence or guilt or the other parties.

My interest lies in the fact that.

At long last that the Police have charged him with a criminal offence. Sexual abuse is a relatively simple thing, just two people one of which abuses the other, it really shouldn't take this long for the police to find out if there is enough reliable evidence to charge and convict.

In nearly all similar cases there is no "real" evidence as opposed to the tit for tat, he said, she said, Panto type rubbish. By "real" I mean proving beyond reasonable doubt. If I were a juror then I'm sorry but "he touched my XYZ" followed by "oh no I didn't" just would not be enough, no matter how many folk jump onto the bandwagon.

So what do you think the chances are here of real evidence coming out at trial.
Old 24-01-19, 08:12 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Alex Salmond and abuse cases

An old mate of mine knows one of the celebs who was done by operation yewtree a few years ago.From what I know they threw a huge amount of dirt until just one tiny bit stuck.I didnt believe any of it. In fact some of it was provably false. Proper justice is very difficult in these cases.
Old 24-01-19, 08:17 PM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

He's accused of attempted rape and sexual assault, but surely if he had done these things, then the initial enquiry by the Scottish Government into the allegations would have referred them to the Police straight away, if they were that serious?

However to charge him would have required some evidence, and the police wouldn't have charged him otherwise.

Lets see, if he's guilty he'll get his time in jail.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-19, 11:03 PM   #4
Talking Heads

https://twitter.com/COPFS/status/1088383577480404992
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-19, 01:11 AM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

its amazing what happens when you get a russian tv show.

anyone with an aligation will be charged, its a matter of course. a charge is an accusation usually made by the police if they think you have committed a crime.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-19, 11:55 AM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

There's always the debate about whether people accused should be named before even a charge is made. A very tricky one, I know the arguments both ways, but in this day mud sticks, you'll never clear your name if it has been spread across the media (tabloid and otherwise). The mainstream media, TV radio papers etc, just love something salacious, certain radio show presenters pretend it's in the public interest but in reality they're just sniggering schoolboys.
I can't say I'm a fan of Salmond, but that goes for many folk in public office these days I'm afraid (they speak highly of me). However, I'll take no opinion on this case until it is at least heard. I really don't understand why such things go through some sort of internal (sic) review before going to the police, if it's potentially a criminal issues then it goes to the police, simple. The churches seem to think they can filter such things too.
As said by others, the Yewtree cases have been deplorable in some instances, that really isn't my idea of justice at work, and we all know about the police and prosecution failing to reveal evidence to defence counsel in similar cases.
Old 25-01-19, 12:17 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

not strictly a fan of Salmond but i do admire how he ran Scotland compared to Sturgeon. i would not like to think he done it. why the sudden change of heart from the accuser, they have had all these years to come forward. this is what troubles me.

sort of relevant. when i worked at the west end of Edinburgh i was always being taunted and groped by older women when doing my job so should i step forward and say they sexually abused/harassed me.. no dont be silly. but turn the tables and make me the woman and its a completely different ball game. sexual advances are one thing but actually raping someone is another.

its all to easy to throw allegations at people these days and as embee said "mud sticks".
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-19, 09:29 PM   #8
ethariel

If you look at his statement, he stated - he was ' innocent of any criminality', that's a really strange statement, most people would just say 'innocent' or 'utter boll***s I didn't do it'.

Innocent of criminality? - makes me think he is going to say 'it was all consensual' rather than 'I didn't do anything'
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-19, 10:18 PM   #9
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
why the sudden change of heart from the accuser, they have had all these years to come forward. this is what troubles me.
Happens sometimes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47013732