SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-08-17, 02:32 PM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default So I bought a no name action camera

So for 25 quid, off flea bay. 4k, wifi what more do you need,

Same again for a stem mount, then add a spare battery, memory card and this stops looking cheap.

After about an hour the battery is dead. But I have a spare. sod it more expense and a charging case to ensure the battery doesn't die mid ride.

Now put it to the test and a few lessons learned.

1) you may rarely clean your bike Tim. But FFS sake clean the screen if you want to record what is happening in front.

2) Raise the camera so the speed reading is not recorded.

3) Set the time/date so if you have to rely on it for evidence. It may actually be accepted if the date recorded matches the date/time of incident.

4) 4K doesn't take long to eat into a memory card, 1920x1080 is perfectly acceptable.

5) Wifi is a gimic, put the memory card in the laptop. Far faster.

Because of point 2, initial recordings deleted. But all in all. I am happy. I guess even if I had bought a named make, Most of the extra expenditure would still have occurred.

Last edited by timwilky; 26-08-17 at 02:34 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-17, 02:57 PM   #2
Chris_SVS

Default Re: So I bought a no name action camera

Nothing worse about new cameras than going for a test ride and the view is either dirty or looking at sky! My Sena 10c will run nearly 5hrs at 1080p/30fps, more than good enough quality for youtube/vimeo or indeed evidence.

Could I have a link?

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 26-08-17 at 03:01 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-17, 03:32 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS all eat battery life. I would not get a camera with GPS (site of accident is rarely in doubt) as it records speed, acceleration etc and if / when police get hands on it they can check on your 'riding history' prior to any accident, you may be hung by your own petard, even if you went to trouble of raising camera so that it couldn't see your speedo.

Thing about named makes though is that backup service is there, not just tomorrow but next year, couple of years ago my mate downloaded shonky 3rd party cheap maps etc. into his nearly new Garmin satnav, sent it back to Garmin saying it had stopped working, was back within a week all sorted, no bill even though it would have been obvious what he had done to the tech.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-17, 03:49 PM   #4
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS all eat battery life. I would not get a camera with GPS (site of accident is rarely in doubt) as it records speed, acceleration etc and if / when police get hands on it they can check on your 'riding history' prior to any accident, you may be hung by your own petard, even if you went to trouble of raising camera so that it couldn't see your speedo.

Thing about named makes though is that backup service is there, not just tomorrow but next year, couple of years ago my mate downloaded shonky 3rd party cheap maps etc. into his nearly new Garmin satnav, sent it back to Garmin saying it had stopped working, was back within a week all sorted, no bill even though it would have been obvious what he had done to the tech.
I once sent an Edge1000(cycling) back to Garmin with a clearly unlocked and up-to-date City Navigator mapset on the sdcard.

They took the card out, put it into a new unit and sent back to me
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote