SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-05-06, 09:35 PM   #1
enginedriver

Default Vintage Moped

In a fit of nostalgia I bought a 1974 Puch Maxi moped on ebay. £200, 3000 miles from new, wonderful condition.....I know it's pathetic but it was the first bike I ever owned (except in 1974 it cost me £125 brand new including insurance and a helmet!)

Anyway as it hasn't run on the road since 1988 what would be your collective opinion on using unleaded fuel.would it be safe enough to assume that it was converted? I seem to recall that it was a modification to timing that was necessary at the time?

Took it for a quick buzz tonight (literally!!).brilliant!! Clouds of blue smoke 'til it warmed up but a weird feeling perched upright in the breeze!!

£14 a year fully comp, class 1 business use and 15 road tax and 170 mpg.......cheap fun or what!!
Old 31-05-06, 09:45 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

It's a two stroke is it not?

In which case it shouldn't matter whether the fuel has lead in it or not, I seem to remember that the Puch didn't require four star anyway, so the fact that modern unleaded is slightly lower octane than four star was won't matter.

Post some pics up, I remember a number of Maxis from years past.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-06, 09:47 PM   #3
wyrdness

£14 fully comp? Cheap fun indeed. Enjoy!
Old 31-05-06, 09:52 PM   #4
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Thought you just put a little two stroke oil in the fuel tank and shake the bike from left to right a bit... as there are no valves for the fuel to lub, just two stroke reads and ports...

As I seam to remember....
Old 31-05-06, 09:52 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Like Sid says.

When you said "vintage" I thought you meant really vintage

I did a similar thing once, nostalgia isn't what it used to be. When a sprog I was given a New Hudson Autocycle as a field bike. When I saw one advertised about 20yrs ago I decided to buy it, like yours it was totally original and complete, right down to 1954 tyres!

Sad thing about it was that it was a complete dog when it was new, and hadn't improved with age. Truly awful thing, not a single redeeming feature. Damn those rose tinted retro-spectacles.

Still, sold it at a good profit!
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-06, 09:53 PM   #6
jonboy

Hey, I used to have a Puch Maxi!

Old 31-05-06, 10:16 PM   #7
Caddy2000

Strokers run better on unleaded then they do on proper fuel - I have no idea why, but I run my James on unleaded mix. I use 45:1 Sthil two stroke oil which is meant to be used at 50:1, but it's doing very well on it!
Old 31-05-06, 11:53 PM   #8
BILLY

The very first bike I ever rode and the first bike I crashed and broke my collar bone didn't put me off though
Old 01-06-06, 06:17 AM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

OK I know it is not a Puch, but when I was having the SV MOTed 3 weeks ago I had a look round the workshop, whilst most of the stuff in there was old British there was a fizzy for sale in the corner. I put my glasses on to look at the price tag as I couldn't believe it, and it didn't change £3,500. Yes £3,500 for a bloody fizzy.

Talked with Brian who owns the garage and he agreed it was a stupid price. But also said some nutter will pay it. Whilst I wouldn't mind a bit of nostagia and get the first moped I rode I ain't paying that.
Old 01-06-06, 01:16 PM   #10
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage Moped

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginedriver
Anyway as it hasn't run on the road since 1988 what would be your collective opinion on using unleaded fuel.would it be safe enough to assume that it was converted? I seem to recall that it was a modification to timing that was necessary at the time?
IIRC the one I had use of when I was a kid (just messing around on scrubland) used to run on Wood Preserver when I couldn't find any petrol in the garden shed !!

Quote:
. . . Yes £3,500 for a bloody fizzy
We have a dealer round these parts who has been after the Fizzy that he owned as a kid for the last 4 years (it's been totally rebuilt to original spec & looks as anything) - his last offer was £5000 - but the owner won't sell !!