SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-01-07, 07:14 PM   #1
Maudster

Default Storage: Side stand or rear paddock stand?

Now I know that it has been mentioned that its best to lift all the wheels off the ground for storage but I don't think I have that facility.

I am lucky enough to be in possession of 2 sv's, (not bragging or anything!) one of which I doubt I will use until the summer, so whats the best way to keep it? Rear off the ground with a paddock stand or both boots on the ground with the side stand?

The way I see it is that; if I use the rear paddock stand then the weight is gonna be on the front tyre and the suspension but if its on the side stand the weight is even on both, and is that really a good thing?

Opinions please??
Old 18-01-07, 07:25 PM   #2
andyaikido

Best to get both wheels off the ground. Can't you lift the front up on a milk crate or similar?

Otherwise you'll need to turn the wheels periodically... or change the tyre(s) in spring.
Old 18-01-07, 07:35 PM   #3
Maudster

Might seem like a silly question but what part of the bike do you put on the crate? I have lower fairing etc.
Old 18-01-07, 08:03 PM   #4
Cloggsy

Whenever I put my bike away, I always put it up on both the front and rear paddock stands...

I found it stopped the tyres flat-spotting
Old 18-01-07, 09:49 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Put it on its wheels. Once a week, roll it about 6 inches. Job done There's no harm in putting it on the stands, but it's not essential.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-07, 10:00 PM   #6
Maudster

Thanks guys, gonna leave it on the side stand and just move it around every now and then. That way I can use the paddock stand for when I clean the bike that's getting dirty!

Cheers for the advice
Old 19-01-07, 01:41 PM   #7
telesv650

All I do is put a piece of 2x4 wood under the side stand. this raises the bike to a more verticle position without the risk of falling over... this has two benifits,

1 space.
2 the oil stays in the middle of the sump and dosen't sit in one casing.

I see little point to storing a bike off the ground apart from keeping it verticle.. at least on the ground it has less distance to fall!!! I've never had a flat spot appear.... just keep an eye on the tyre pressures....

The old man stores his brit bikes in the same way as I do for a year without using them, and he's never noticed a flat spot..
Old 19-01-07, 03:01 PM   #8
SV650Racer

as northwind says, just move it every now and again.

If you have a cold garage keep it stood on an old rug or bit of carpet. Put some WD40 onto the fork stantions and bounce the forks when you move it to stop the fork seals drying out. If a bikes stood for a while they dry out and when you move it for the first time the seals can tear.
Old 19-01-07, 10:14 PM   #9
Maudster

Its stored outside with a cover cuz I don't have the luxury of a garage. The lump of wood seemed like a good idea until we had the storms yesterday so I'm a little concerned about leaving it too upright and it falling over so I guess I'm just gonna have to move it around and keep a keep a check on the tyre pressures.
Old 19-01-07, 10:57 PM   #10
kwak zzr

get yourself a 10x8 timber shed, makes a great bike house.