SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-06-12, 08:23 AM   #1
kiggles

Default france trip advice and places to go

hi everyone,

this weekend me and my girlfriend fancy a break from london and decided to go for a road trip to france. we are going to be taking the car, (although i am dying to take the bike). could people who have been to France via ferry give me some advice for:

- where to go
my girlfriend likes taking pictures with here slr nikon D90, and be nice to see some cool parts of france. But we plan to do a loop so we dont cover the same area twice.

- where to stay
we are on a bugget of about £300 between us for everything, but nice B&B you recommend would be nice

- what ferry to take

- things to be aware of eg stuff to put in the car hazard triangle.

any websites or things you can recommend would be great. it is my job to sort this all out today so all help will be appreciated.
Old 28-06-12, 08:28 AM   #2
davepreston

Default Re: france trip advice and places to go

wrong i know but have a butchers at the camping and caravan guide, shed loads of info
Old 28-06-12, 08:34 AM   #3
metalangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggles View Post
- where to go
my girlfriend likes taking pictures with here slr nikon D90, and be nice to see some cool parts of france. But we plan to do a loop so we dont cover the same area twice.
When we went in 1996 we did Loches, Montignac (and the Caves at Lascaux), the Chateaux de Chennonceaux, the Gorges du Tarn, and Avignon before returning via TGV to Paris.
Old 28-06-12, 08:55 AM   #4
Stingo

Some top tips...

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...driving-abroad

I believe you may also now require TWO breathalyser kits prior to arrival in France. This may have come in force today...heard it on the news this morning...google is your friend.

Last edited by Stingo; 28-06-12 at 09:02 AM.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-12, 09:03 AM   #5
-Ralph-

How long are you going for, when, how many miles do you want to cover, and are you thinking about basing yourself in one place, or different place/hotel every night?
Old 28-06-12, 09:03 AM   #6
kiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
When we went in 1996 we did Loches, Montignac (and the Caves at Lascaux), the Chateaux de Chennonceaux, the Gorges du Tarn, and Avignon before returning via TGV to Paris.
looking at the area's you went to how long did you spend in france to cover these area's? as we are only there for two days. it seems very far into france.
Old 28-06-12, 09:06 AM   #7
kiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
How long are you going for, how many miles do you want to cover, and are you thinking about basing yourself in one place, or different place/hotel every night?
plan to leave tomor morning and return on monday. i am thinking of basing our self somewhere on friday. and staying there friday, saturday, and maybe sunday night. spend the days traveling to nice places to return back to the same place hotel
Old 28-06-12, 09:16 AM   #8
metalangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggles View Post
looking at the area's you went to how long did you spend in france to cover these area's? as we are only there for two days. it seems very far into france.
About ten days? I didn't realize you were going for just the weekend and yes, those places are all very far into France. Sorry. Thing is, northwest France is pretty flat and uninteresting, the good stuff is further.
Old 28-06-12, 09:17 AM   #9
kiggles

looking at google maps will agree with that. all the good roads and area's seems to be tucked away from england (no surprise there)
Old 28-06-12, 09:19 AM   #10
-Ralph-

Well on your budget you only really have a choice of one ferry and that's Dover/Calais. Put a car on any other ferry at this time of year and you'll blow your £300 budget just on that.

Paris is always a good option from Calais if you've never been, on your budget look at www.accorhotels.com, you'd get a F1 hotel outside the peripherique for 35 odd quid a night.

Reims area is also worth a visit, you'll find a cheap hotel on that website or a campsite on google no bother.