SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-08-06, 04:28 PM   #1
B

Default SV650 won't start - possible battery problem?

Hi,

I've had my K3 SV650 stored in the garage for a few months as I've been at uni. The battery went flat but I hooked it up to my optimate and then it seemed to be ok. A few weeks later the optimate was unplugged for a couple of days. Now I've just charged it up again, optimate says the battery is ok, but the bike won't start. Everything seems fine when I turn the key - lights, fuel injection system, dash all come on - but when I thumb the starter all I get is a 'click', the lights dim, the dash goes off momentarily and the fuel injection kicks in again. It's as if I've just switched the ignition off and on.

I think the battery is to blame but I'm concerned that it may be something more serious. If anyone can shed some light on this problem I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers.

B

p.s. I have checked the obvious - kill switch on and stand up.
Old 07-08-06, 05:39 PM   #2
BILLY

Kill switch?
Old 07-08-06, 05:44 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650 won't start - possible battery problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B
Everything seems fine when I turn the key - lights, fuel injection system, dash all come on - but when I thumb the starter all I get is a 'click', the lights dim, the dash goes off momentarily and the fuel injection kicks in again. It's as if I've just switched the ignition off and on.
Thats exactly what mine did when the batery was flat. Weird that the optimate says its OK though. How long did you leave it on the optimate for ?

I found that my battery had enough juice in it to light the dash lights etc but it didnt have enough power to turn the bike over and the starter motor would whirr and click.

Is there anybody near you that you could borrow a battery off of to check it out ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-06, 05:44 PM   #4
kwak zzr

if your optimate says the battery is ok then it should be ok cuz it monitors the discharge of the battery but my battery went on my zzr6 with the same symptoms as yours, the battery was holding its charge but not enuf to fire the starter and you just get a click like you say.
Old 07-08-06, 06:04 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Almost certainly the battery, Optimates are good but they can't work miracles.

Before buying a new one substitute a known good one to check it, or jump start from other bike/car etc.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-06, 10:11 PM   #6
B

Thanks for the help, looks like I came to the right place. I'm pretty sure the battery is done for but would it be worth leaving it on the optimate for a few days? Also, can you guys recommend a new battery?
Old 08-08-06, 07:20 AM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by B
Thanks for the help, looks like I came to the right place. I'm pretty sure the battery is done for but would it be worth leaving it on the optimate for a few days? Also, can you guys recommend a new battery?
It might be but if its that far gone it'll never come back. I've got a Yusa ( sp ) in my bike was a bit pricey but seems like a good battery.

Have search for batteries I'm sure this has been covered before.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote