SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Good The Bad and The Ugly Pub and Cafe guide Know any good biking meeting places. List them here and give them a rating

Old 26-08-16, 04:19 PM   #1
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default The Good Accommodation Guide

I thought I would start a thread of the places I stayed at on my recent northern jaunt as all four places were excellent and very biker friendly. Perhaps others could add to this and we can have a bit of a database of recommended places.

Thorganby - North Yorkshire
Thorganby Farm Cottages (£80 per night for 2)
http://www.thorganbyfarmcottages.org.uk/

Just south of York so close to the Yorkshire moors and Dales, you can ride to Whitby and Hawes from here via beautiful roads.

On a farm with a friendly owner called Judy. Off road under cover parking down a lane about 1 1/2 miles from a pub serving good food - Judy is usually happy to drop you down there if you walk back so you can have a drink.

2 good sized rooms B&B (plus a guest lounge) with an excellent breakfast. Room in the hall to dry gear out over a radiator should you get soggy. Also 2 cottages in a converted barn that each have a double or twin room and sofa bed.

Gargrave - North Yorkshire via Airbnb (£58 per night for 2 inc of fees)
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/8056780

Quaint village right at the bottom of the Dales. Carol is a lovely hostess with a converted barn within walking distance of some great pubs and a good curry house and a super sweet shop plus walks along the river and canal. Rooms aren't huge but you get a lounge and the price per night is very reasonable. She has a garage that can hold 2 bikes and there's parking on the lane too. 2 double bedrooms and a fab breakfast with home made jam and all locally sourced food. Excellent roads across the Dales right on the doorstep.

Ambleside - Lake District
Easedale Lodge Guest House (£98 per night for 2)
http://www.easedaleambleside.co.uk/

Right in the centre of the small town near Lake Windemere with off-road parking which is hard to find in this area. Sarah and Dave are super friendly. Rooms vary in size and price, there is also a guest lounge. Breakfast is vast, lots of choice, best toast ever as the bread comes from the baker next door. Room in the hall to leave panniers and boots. Loads of restaurants and pubs right on the door step. Within minutes you can be riding some of the most spectacular roads in the country including Honnister Pass.

Matlock - Derbyshire
Riverbank Guesthouse (£90 per night for 2)
http://www.riverbankhouse.co.uk/

Jennie and Graham own this lovely house right in the centre of Matlock but as it's tucked away down a cul de sac the bikes are safe and they are very biker friendly. Rooms are large and there's also a guest lounge but the star is the beautiful garden that sweeps down to the banks of the river Derwent. You can sit and watch the water and the kingfisher as you sip a glass of wine. If you still need to eat after the big breakfast then just a few minutes walk away are several good restaurants and award winning pubs. Biking mecca Matlock Bath is the next village up and all the roads of the Peak District are laid out before you including the Cat and Fiddle pass if you fancy dawdling along at 50mph on camera!

So that's my recommendations. It was a great trip of just over 1000 miles.
Old 26-08-16, 05:19 PM   #2
Kenzie

Default Re: The Good Accommodation Guide

Can highly recommend Sykeside campsite which sits at the bottom of the Kirkstone Pass

http://sykeside.co.uk/
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 07:53 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I've moved it into here as it'll get lost in Idle Banter and hopefully as peeps add to it it will become a useful resource

Fizz

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-16, 01:00 PM   #4
Fen Tiger

Old favourite of mine in the Dales is Usha Gap campsite near Muker. Handy for the excellent Farmers Arms a short walk away and breakfast over the Buttertubs Pass in Hawes. Don't tell too many people about it.....
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote