SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum



Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 19-03-17, 08:26 AM   #11
bathwiggle
Member
 
bathwiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Billericay
Posts: 468
Default Re: Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I'm on a low dose of methotrexate for my psoriatic arthritis. Been on it for about 8 years. It took a while to really start working so bear with it. Over the last four years my arthritis has completely gone (along with most of the psoriasis). Made an unbelievable difference to me. Make sure you keep moving/exercising the affected parts, it definitely helps to lessen the pain.
Will do, its only been 6 weeks, but im just impatient and miss riding!

Heorot - i'll have a look.
__________________
Vrooom: Matt black curvy with twin cans
bathwiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-17, 01:36 PM   #12
garynortheast
Member
Mega Poster
 
garynortheast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mid Wales
Posts: 1,043
Default Re: Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

You're looking at a year for a really noticeable effect. There was a lessening of the arthritic pain within a few months but the serious reduction and apparent elimination of the arthritis came after several years. 12 months will make life much more bearable though.
Can't stress just how important exercise and movement is though.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-17, 02:01 PM   #13
bathwiggle
Member
 
bathwiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Billericay
Posts: 468
Default Re: Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
You're looking at a year for a really noticeable effect. There was a lessening of the arthritic pain within a few months but the serious reduction and apparent elimination of the arthritis came after several years. 12 months will make life much more bearable though.
Can't stress just how important exercise and movement is though.
I'll keep being patient then, I am quite active, i walk to work when i can't cycle, i'm not suited to sitting doing nothing. I did have to stop doing DIY as i kept dropping the paint brushes and tools!
__________________
Vrooom: Matt black curvy with twin cans
bathwiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-17, 02:52 PM   #14
Littlepeahead
Member
Mega Poster
 
Littlepeahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Saaarrrfff
Posts: 2,886
Default Re: Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Once they get the balance right on the medication you'll probably find that you won't even know you've got it anymore. Sometimes that can take a little while and it is frustrating that they seem to take so long to diagnose it - it took 2 years and me finally having a very heated exchange with our GP before they would even test Mr LPH. Men in their early 40s rarely get it so he was reluctant to run any tests and kept saying take ibuprofen. i know as you are female they may not have stalled so long.

As my mother and his mother both have RA we were very familiar with the symptoms and my physio at work had a look at Stu and said none of his aches and pains were being caused by work/posture/falling over ice skating. When he eventually go the results his markers were really high, now they are back to normal.

Radio 4 ran a series on You and Yours over a week recently. It may still be available to listen to and was very informative.

To give you hope, Stu just bought a BMW S1000RR - a few years ago he could hardly ride his GS 650 as he was in so much pain. Are you seeing the specialist at Broomfield?
__________________
Tender is the day, The demons go away, Lord I need to find, Someone who can heal my mind...

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 19-03-17 at 02:55 PM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-17, 04:38 PM   #15
bathwiggle
Member
 
bathwiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Billericay
Posts: 468
Default Re: Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Once they get the balance right on the medication you'll probably find that you won't even know you've got it anymore. Sometimes that can take a little while and it is frustrating that they seem to take so long to diagnose it - it took 2 years and me finally having a very heated exchange with our GP before they would even test Mr LPH. Men in their early 40s rarely get it so he was reluctant to run any tests and kept saying take ibuprofen. i know as you are female they may not have stalled so long.

As my mother and his mother both have RA we were very familiar with the symptoms and my physio at work had a look at Stu and said none of his aches and pains were being caused by work/posture/falling over ice skating. When he eventually go the results his markers were really high, now they are back to normal.

Radio 4 ran a series on You and Yours over a week recently. It may still be available to listen to and was very informative.

To give you hope, Stu just bought a BMW S1000RR - a few years ago he could hardly ride his GS 650 as he was in so much pain. Are you seeing the specialist at Broomfield?

I'm over in Luton now working at the hospital, luckily when my GP told me that the amount of pain i was in was normal for a 27yo, one of the consultants at work spoke to a member of the rheumatology department and i got referred that way. Raised ESR but no other markers currently raised so its taken a year of monitoring and trying different drugs for them to decide what it most likely is.

I'll have a look at radio 4.

And that does give me hope, i wanted to ride around New Zealand for my 30th so i shall try and be patient.; thankyou
__________________
Vrooom: Matt black curvy with twin cans
bathwiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-17, 08:26 PM   #16
garynortheast
Member
Mega Poster
 
garynortheast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mid Wales
Posts: 1,043
Default Re: Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

I started out being prescribed Sulphasalazine but reacted badly to it a couple of years in. I was moved onto the Methotrexate and folic acid and I have to say it's been brilliant. Been on it for about eight years and never had any sort of reaction or side effect.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-17, 11:07 PM   #17
bathwiggle
Member
 
bathwiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Billericay
Posts: 468
Default Re: Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I started out being prescribed Sulphasalazine but reacted badly to it a couple of years in. I was moved onto the Methotrexate and folic acid and I have to say it's been brilliant. Been on it for about eight years and never had any sort of reaction or side effect.
They've started me on the methotrexate, if I decide I'm having children they'll put me on sulphasalazine but currently being able to work is a higher priority. I did have lots of side effects but they seem to be lessening now.
__________________
Vrooom: Matt black curvy with twin cans
bathwiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 01:51 PM   #18
Exuptoy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Maesteg, South Wales.
Posts: 48
Default Re: Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

It looks like there is a hydraulic clutch modification available of the SV. Should make the clutch lighter.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...GtGGgAb1jI2ABA

Good luck with it. I've started having issues with my elbows / inner forearms. Not sure if it arthritis or something like tennis elbow but it's quite intrusive when gripping and sore on the bone ends.

Last edited by Exuptoy; 20-03-17 at 01:52 PM.
Exuptoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 02:11 PM   #19
Red Herring
Member
Mega Poster
 
Red Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,596
Default Re: Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Fitting a quick shifter would get rid of at least half the clutch applications......

Perhaps on a more serious note I'd be more concerned with right hand brake application. There really isn't much room for limited capability in that department.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 02:34 PM   #20
embee
Member
Mega Poster
 
embee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Warwickshire
Posts: 2,636
Default Re: Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Apologies to all, this is an SV site, but if your issues don't improve consider a Honda NC with the DCT transmission. I have a NC700 DCT and have to say it is a brilliant bit of kit for anyone with hand/wrist issues, or if you can't use your left foot for gearchanges. The NC700/750 isn't light but carries the weight very low so is a lot easier to man-handle that the weight might suggest. As long as you can use the front brake it should be fine.
__________________
"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to Biking Nugget1975 Bikes - Talk & Issues 17 18-09-12 07:26 PM
Secondary Arthritis dizzyblonde Idle Banter 23 30-04-08 06:08 PM
New to biking!! krhall SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking 18 14-11-06 08:03 PM
My Biking Day. Peter Henry Bikes - Talk & Issues 8 11-09-06 09:45 AM
Am I going off biking? Mervin Bikes - Talk & Issues 33 10-02-06 01:49 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.