SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-01-11, 05:10 PM   #1
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default MTB riders - any good iphone apps for logging route/speed/times/etc...

As above really, need an app on my iPhone for logging riding on the mountain bike - only problem seems to be that most tracking apps use googlemaps for mapping, but this means footpaths, cycle routes and other off road rides often don't show up = the app usually attaches my gps data to the nearest road or it doesn't plot it with any accuracy whatsoever..

Got MCN's Ride logger - very good but much more suited to high speed riding...

Got MotionXgps - seems pretty good so far but the interface is very sloppy and has quite a few bugs, tried emailing a route to myself but it just tells me it's failed and to check for an update.

Can anyone recommend some kind of GPS tracker available iPhone? Looking to record where I've been (off road is a must), point to point speed, average speed, times..

thanks in advance

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-11, 08:05 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: MTB riders - any good iphone apps for logging route/speed/times/etc...

I know its not what you are after, but why not spend a bit of cash and get a Garmin cycle GPS and have done with it. I have one for my road bike, and its bl**dy brililant.

I dont know of any apps that will deliver the functionality of the Garmin, and I dont know how well your iphone is going to stand up to being bashed about if you are out on the trails.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-11, 08:17 PM   #3
Jackie_Black

Default Re: MTB riders - any good iphone apps for logging route/speed/times/etc...

Cyclemeter is good and has mapped me off road accurately a number of times. You can even sync it with facebook so people can see where you are and add comments.
Old 20-01-11, 08:30 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Paul, this is the sort of thing that a Garmin is going to give you... this was from a ride I did last may.

Have a browse about, and then compare it to what the iphone apps are going to give you.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/3...09e281093a%2C0

Old 20-01-11, 11:44 PM   #5
Spikenipple

Endomondo is pretty awesome, I used it last year downhilling in Wales so I could see how long the trail was.

My old SV

South & West Surfer
Spikenipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-11, 10:23 AM   #6
ThEGr33k

There is a good one when you upgrade to Android, and its free
Old 21-01-11, 10:45 AM   #7
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Cheers for all the tips guys

Fizz - the Garmin Cycle GPS looks aboslutely rockin'! The data on the connect website looks really thorough & useful for planning rides/adapting performance etc....

but... I think the reason for leaning towards iPhone is due to the pricing - the cyclemeter.com app is £2.99 and looks like it provides enough features for what I'm after in the meantime.. Also, I'm not hitting any red/black routes just yet, so my phone will be in my backpack (away from moisture and best placed for GPS reception)... will only be out when it's guaranteed not to smash it down with proper fat heavy rain as well.

If it turns out that I'm getting towards the limits of the app then obviously it'd be worth me treating myself to one of the Garmin Edge computers...

& cheers for the endomondo tip off spike, it's free (which just so happens to be my favorite price) but it looks like it might not quite have all the features I'm looking for..

I'll give the cyclemeter app a try and report back

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..

Last edited by Paul the 6th; 21-01-11 at 10:50 AM.
Old 21-01-11, 10:47 AM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Paul, this is the sort of thing that a Garmin is going to give you... this was from a ride I did last may.

Have a browse about, and then compare it to what the iphone apps are going to give you.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/3...09e281093a%2C0
The price of Garmins puts me off buying one, but looking at that data, I'm seriously considering one now.

I wouldn't risk an Iphone on a bike, as its not really been designed for the purpose. Unless its insured
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-11, 10:51 AM   #9
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
There is a good one when you upgrade to Android, and its free

Sorry I can't seem to make out your post nick - the 'AppleHater' plug in for safari is preventing me from viewing it on my iMac... xx

Old 21-01-11, 11:10 AM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
The price of Garmins puts me off buying one, but looking at that data, I'm seriously considering one now.

I wouldn't risk an Iphone on a bike, as its not really been designed for the purpose. Unless its insured
I have an Edge 305, which I think has been discontinued, but if you find one cheap or 2nd hand. I think you'd be onto a winner, the 705 / 800 give alot more data than that and also have GPS mapping on, which for me was over kill.