SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: would you buy a brand new car nowadays??
Yes 5 15.63%
No 27 84.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-06-08, 10:17 AM   #1
neio79

Default would you buy a new car today??

Now with al this fuel rising and talk of peak oil and things are getting worse, I have been wondering about the future of the car as we know it.

I wonder how many people would buy a brand new car today? I mean if fuel keeps going up and up etc they will become a luxury item for most people and therefore demand will go down. If that happens your nice new shiny car will be worthless in a few years.

I for one would not even consider buying new or slightly new from now on due to the way things are going now.

An other point for thought is most people keep a car between 5 and 10 years, so if in 5years alternate fuel cars are really taking off would you want to be lumbered with a obsolete petrol/diesel car worth naff all.
Old 13-06-08, 10:24 AM   #2
suzsv650

Default Re: would you buy a new car today??

I said no how ever I know someone who has recently (x mas time) bought a new car and its now worth no where near what he paid for it....
Old 13-06-08, 10:35 AM   #3
Kate Moss

If i won the lottery, then yes!
Old 13-06-08, 11:09 AM   #4
Woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsv650 View Post
I said no how ever I know someone who has recently (x mas time) bought a new car and its now worth no where near what he paid for it....

I have never understood why people worry so much about depreciation. If I buy something it costs what it costs. That is the price I pay for my enjoyment/use of said item. You don't buy a TV, for example, with the niggling thought that it will only be worth half what you paid for it in 6 months time do you?

I bought my bike new. It cost £4500. When I get another, it will cost whatever it costs. Any trade in value from my current bike will just be a bonus. If I can't afford it when the time comes, I'll wait until I can.

Depreciation is just the price you pay for owning something for however long you have it for.
Old 13-06-08, 11:15 AM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Yes, a Hybrid.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-08, 11:16 AM   #6
suzsv650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
I have never understood why people worry so much about depreciation. If I buy something it costs what it costs. That is the price I pay for my enjoyment/use of said item. You don't buy a TV, for example, with the niggling thought that it will only be worth half what you paid for it in 6 months time do you?

I bought my bike new. It cost £4500. When I get another, it will cost whatever it costs. Any trade in value from my current bike will just be a bonus. If I can't afford it when the time comes, I'll wait until I can.

Depreciation is just the price you pay for owning something for however long you have it for.
yea but then if I buy a new car for 20k if I go home and put it in the trade it straight away I aint never gona get that 20k back! Its just silly.
Old 13-06-08, 11:17 AM   #7
Woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsv650 View Post
yea but then if I buy a new car for 20k if I go home and put it in the trade it straight away I aint never gona get that 20k back! Its just silly.
Don't do it then?
Old 13-06-08, 11:23 AM   #8
suzsv650

Quote:
Don't do it then?
i dont i got a saxo!

i think for the money of a new car you could get a dam nice second hand one!

i currently want a 02 celica in silver
Old 13-06-08, 11:31 AM   #9
neio79

Quote:

I am onabout something a bit more than depriciation though!! as in being left with a worthless hunk of metal that no one wants because its obsolete due to the cost of running it and it ossibly using old technology.

I just think anyone who is to buy a brand new 20K + car today is a loonatic.
Old 13-06-08, 11:42 AM   #10
gettin2dizzy

Not brand new, but it's the perfect time to buy a gas guzzling V8 while fuel is expensive now, it's the last chance you'll get to afford to run one