SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-04-19, 10:23 AM   #11
Othen

Default Re: Sv 650 coil wire

There are lots of possible causes.
Sometimes it is a good idea to trace one’s steps since the fault first occurred. Did it start suddenly? Is it intermittent or permanent? Is it getting worse? Try to think back and be methodical (make a list of all the things that have changed and try to correlate causes and effects).
When you try to diagnose the fault only change one thing at a time, and make a note of what you do and whether it affects the bike. Try the cheapest and simplest things first (plugs, impedance of the caps and coils, continuity of the wires and connections and so on).
It might be a good idea to post any results you get as you check the bike here, the chances are someone will have had a similar experience and so will be able to save you lots of time.
Good fortune,
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-19, 11:30 AM   #12
Jay simpson

Ok done a ohm check on pulse coil comes back with all different readings 42,5,140,357 everytime i plug in reader it changes, checked stator steady 180,and rr steady reading
Jay simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-19, 12:20 PM   #13
Jay simpson

Actually on doing another check seems pulse coil is putting out 35-50 ohms and rr seems dead on one connection spade on a diode test
Old 10-04-19, 12:41 PM   #14
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay simpson View Post
Ok done a ohm check on pulse coil comes back with all different readings 42,5,140,357 everytime i plug in reader it changes, checked stator steady 180,and rr steady reading
Not sure where to begin with those readings.

You would need to disconnect the pick up coil to measure it and if you crank the bike over it will give weird readings as the magnet passes the coil (so disconnect, power off, then measure)

The only way to measure the voltage from the pick up coil would be using an oscilloscope or Suzuki's peak hold measuring tool. Expensive multimeters have a peak hold option but I don't know if the Suzuki tool has a load built in, so you might get different readings.

The stator measurement you've given is meaningless. Firstly, unless you suspect your battery is not charging this isn't a stator problem. If it was a stator problem you would look at the 3 yellow leads (call them 1, 2 and 3), you would measure (ohms) between 1-2, 2-3, 1-3 - all should be about the same value (there is a spec but I'm too idle to look it up). You would then measure between any lead and ground which should be open cct.
You would run the bike and measure the ac voltage which would vary on revs, I think it's in excess of 60Vac at 5k rpm (but you would need to look that up).
The stator would not cause a misfire unless the battery wasn't charging and the voltage was too low to supply the igniter.

There's a description of the igniter and troubleshooting guide here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...age=317#manual

I see with you latest post you're still pursuing your investigation of the charging system. Is your battery going flat? Have you measured the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running? Is it about 14V? This doesn't sound like a charging problem so forget the stator and RR. Although the stator and the pulse coil are in the same place they are doing different things and are not related.

I'm going back to my decorating.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-19, 02:03 PM   #15
Jay simpson

Thanks for the info and that manual link interesting things seem to point to signal generator by this think ill change it worth a try but where would i get one any ideas