SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-10-07, 11:48 AM   #1
plowsie

Default Feet on pegs...

Was reading through some of my Valentino Rossi book the other day and he was talking about a race at Donnington park on the old 500's. He was talking about the motions through Redgate, he said about going through the corner, and balls of feet on the pegs also(common knowledge)

Now the bit that got me...

I know he's a racer and it prob has more effect on track and stuff, but he said the he pushed down hard on the pegs to gain a bit more grip upon exiting.

Does that work? Do you apply pressure to both sides or just the side your exiting that has more contact on the ground, i thought that may get her looser if you are applying pressure on rear tyre on the side that is not making contact with the ground.

Do people use it on the road? And racers on here do you use it?
Old 31-10-07, 11:50 AM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Feet on pegs...

yea, i thought about this too. I think the idea is that if you are pushing down on the pegs, then you are releasing some of the grip on the handlebars, letting the bike find its own grip?

I dunno. It works though

Matt
Old 31-10-07, 11:53 AM   #3
Jester666

Pushing hard on the pegs helps with turning. ie push on the left peg to help turn left etc.
Old 31-10-07, 12:39 PM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

You can go for the inside or outside peg, but either makes it feel more stable. Not sure why as the actual C of G doesn't change, maybe it is more about letting the steering do its thing. Personally yes I do this all the time, whether dangling off or not. I favour the outside peg and inside bar to put your weight through. You can use the inside peg instead but if it grounds out you lose your control. Also when you go for dangling, the outside peg allows you to push yourself over to the inside more easily.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-07, 02:50 PM   #5
Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
Pushing hard on the pegs helps with turning. ie push on the left peg to help turn left etc.

You explained this to me at Lydden, and it helped in the final session

(because I passed chris(numbers) tee hee)
Old 31-10-07, 03:29 PM   #6
G
Mega Poster

I dont know about more grip, but if i do it i get a greater sense through my feet of where the grip is and when the grip is about to no longer exist.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-07, 03:56 PM   #7
Ratty46

being a bit on the slim biult side i always push on the pegs on more demanding corners on the road,as i foind it helps me to turn the bike in, i also tend to ride along with the ball of my feet on the pegs.
Old 31-10-07, 04:49 PM   #8
Pedrosa

Push on inside peg for leaning,push on outside peg for gunning out of turn.
Old 31-10-07, 06:52 PM   #9
StreetHawk

I push on the pegs when giving it some round a bend, don't know it it really gives me more grip but it feels like it does and anything that gives confidence has to be a good thing
Old 01-11-07, 05:31 AM   #10
Ratty46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_1871 View Post
I push on the pegs when giving it some round a bend, don't know it it really gives me more grip but it feels like it does and anything that gives confidence has to be a good thing
definetly helps i think, balls of feet on pegs is more sensitive too i think, you can feel more if you get my meaing!