SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-06-20, 08:29 PM   #11
gadget

Default Re: Curvy charging issue ... maybe?

Really appreciate all the info and replies, a friend of mine who is a wizard sparks is going to test the RR for me. Worst case scenario and I have to replace it ... can anyone recommend a good reliable upgrade alternative? I've seen a few now ranging from £29 through to £75-80, all claiming theirs is the best but would be good to have one that's been used by a member here and has zero problems. (Funds are a bit tight atm so would be better at the lower end).
Besides total reliability It has to be plug n play as don't want to chop any wiring.
Any recommendations peeps?
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-20, 09:27 AM   #12
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I used a tourmax brand (aftermarket) one designed for the Honda CBR (rr?929?) .
It cost me about £20
Old 24-06-20, 12:50 PM   #13
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I used a tourmax brand (aftermarket) one designed for the Honda CBR (rr?929?) .
It cost me about £20
Cheers, just googled the makers and one popped up for an sv650s on ebay so asked a few questions about it n hope it's exactly what I need.
Do you know if they are mosfet or just an upgrade on standard equipment? Have you had any probs with it so far?
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-20, 01:46 PM   #14
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I picked the brand because (at least at the time) they were a decent Japanese made aftermarket. I picked CBR because it fitted, I can't remember if it was an advised upgrade (I would have got the information off this forum) or whether simply because it just fitted. I seem to remember being in a rush for it so may have just expanded my search for one I was able to collect the next day for a reasonable price.
In short I don't know about MOSFET but as we know the standard ones are tempremental and on countdown from leaving the showroom I'd rather get a new, decent one (ideally a different manufacturer than the suspect OEM) then make the same mistake twice and have a complete unknown back on the bike.

It was on the bike for about a year, probably 13k miles and was still working fine when I sold the bike.

Don't forget, until you test - you don;t know it's not the battery. If you depend on the bike I wouldn;t get anything but Yuasa.
Old 24-06-20, 01:51 PM   #15
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Had a quick google, I think CBR is a bit of an upgrade. Recommended is:
"personally got the cbr rr 2008 reg/rec its the fh008 I think."

Apparently any Part number starting fh.... is mosfet

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/c...pgrade.104504/

Last edited by Dave20046; 24-06-20 at 01:57 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-20, 03:27 PM   #16
embee
Mega Poster

Like the others say, a multimeter will answer your questions pretty much for definite. If it gives a shade over 14V when running and also when revved up with all lights on, then the reg/rec is probably OK. If it's down near 13V or over 15V then it's duff.
Many bikes use MOSFET reg/recs now, and some can be got cheaper than others. One of the less popular model for taking them from is the NC700, consequently they can be got for very reasonable prices like (for example) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-NC7...4AAOSwbv9eBgyA
I've fitted a handful of second-hand FH*** reg/recs to bikes, different versions FH010 or 012 etc, all have worked faultlessly. I think my SV has one from either a ZX10 or a Honda ATV of some description.
If you have a mate with skills in the sparks department, ask him/her nicely to fit it for you. I used ordinary insulated 1/4" spade terminals, you don't need the special plugs. The 3 yellow alternator wires go in any order on the 3-way socket, the other 2-way you just need to get +/- the right way round, http://www.roadstercycle.com/Easy%20...%20Install.htm