SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-09-08, 08:48 AM   #1
pben47

Thumbs up A day with Spannerman

After reading on the forum some good reports of Stewarts services I decided to give him a try as I needed a service and a bit of work done. Hell, it would be a good ride out if nowt else.

I was booked in Tuesday for a service. I was also having new tyres and forks springs done.

Due to very bad weather I arrived 2 hours late. Apologies were offered and the kettle put on.

Had a great day watching Stewart giving the bike a good seeing to. Learnt quite a bit. The day was full of banter and interesting conversation.

Stewart actually worked through to 7.30pm to finish all I wanted doing and sorting a few unknown problems aswell, thanks again Stewart. I was also pleasantly surprised at the bill.

The bike felt great on the ride home.

If anyone was thinking of taking a trip over there, he comes well recommended from me.

Loooking forward to a few rideouts when back from abroad, its about time I met a few people from up north.

TTFN
Paul
Old 12-09-08, 04:38 PM   #2
Warthog

Default Re: A day with Spannerman

We are going to need a whole subsection to fit in the praise for Spannerman
Old 13-09-08, 06:10 AM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
We are going to need a whole subsection to fit in the praise for Spannerman
+1.

Mods, what are you waiting for?
Old 13-09-08, 07:55 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

What did you need doing to it? Sounds like you rode it there, so it could only have been a service/tarty bits putting on it (not that it wasn't working and you needed a pro to do the diagnostics fro you) ... so why did you not give it a go yourself?
Old 14-09-08, 06:22 AM   #5
pben47

Hi Blue,

The reasons I went over were as follows:

1. It should have been a great ride over the peak district but the weather spoilt that.
2. I wanted to replace the front springs for Hagon progressives.
3. The tyres needed changing
4. To see and learn for myself what was involved in doing a service.

I am not adverse at trying things myself, but I learn best by watching, now I'm in a position to know how to do stuff in the future.

I have already done a few things myself, most recently put a GSXR 1000 shock in the rear.

It is sometimes a pain in the ar$e doing something yourself. There is alot of info, guidance and help on this forum which is brilliant but I hate it when you get inspired to do something yourself that sounds easy and you can't undo a bolt, don't have the right tool etc.

I'd just rather ride the SV.

Paul
Old 14-09-08, 07:00 AM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pben47 View Post
Hi Blue,

The reasons I went over were as follows:

1. It should have been a great ride over the peak district but the weather spoilt that.
2. I wanted to replace the front springs for Hagon progressives.
3. The tyres needed changing
4. To see and learn for myself what was involved in doing a service.

I am not adverse at trying things myself, but I learn best by watching, now I'm in a position to know how to do stuff in the future.

I have already done a few things myself, most recently put a GSXR 1000 shock in the rear.

It is sometimes a pain in the ar$e doing something yourself. There is alot of info, guidance and help on this forum which is brilliant but I hate it when you get inspired to do something yourself that sounds easy and you can't undo a bolt, don't have the right tool etc.

I'd just rather ride the SV.

Paul
Even stuff like not having the right stands can make a job more difficult. But personally I'd rather spend £?? on a new stand/new tool than someone elses time!! ... I get to keep the stand!!

Anyway, that said, I like your rationale and that you intend to DIY where possible in the future
Old 14-09-08, 08:53 AM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

It's good to know that people like Spannerman are out there, I have yet to read anything less than praise for his services.

For someone in his position to be happy for the customer to be there all through the work speaks for itself.
Old 16-09-08, 07:13 AM   #8
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Morning all.

Good to know that you enjoyed your day here Paul, despite the monsoon style weather, & I'm pleased to hear that the bike felt somewhat better on the return home.

Pauls bike did highlight some of the unexpected issues that occur which can catch the the DIY'er out when self servicing. Namely the steering bearings needed replacing, & one of the rear linkage bolts was semi seized & appeared to have been done up by King Kongs bigger brother.
Steering bearings are easy to change if you're experienced, but over the years I have seen many steering stems &/or frames damaged by folks who don't have the neccessary tools or know how to accomplish it.

When it comes to seized or over tightened bolts, I doubt that all but the most enthusiastic DIY'er would have the vast array of different tools that I have acquired over the years. For example I have roughly 6 of each common spanner size, extra long ones for more leverage, & stubby ones for better access etc. Most stay on the rack from one week to the next, but when I encounter a stubborn fastener, or need to access something from a different angle they come into their own.
Then I have a comprehensive 'arsenal' of air tools for when the going gets really tough!

I've never had a problem with working on a customers bike in front of them. As said, it shows that I have confidence in my workmanship, & I work on the principle that as the customer you're entitled to know where your money's going. Also as Paul said you will get to learn a little bit more about your bike.

Cheers.

P.S. The banter is pretty good here too!

Last edited by Spanner Man; 16-09-08 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Left out a space, SHOCK HORROR!
Spanner Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-08, 09:49 AM   #9
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post
P.S. The banter is pretty good here too!
Oh yes!

Hope your okay mate