SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-02-10, 01:34 PM   #1
Alpinestarhero

Default Computer Help - "browser choice" pop-up

My laptop, without my persmission, installed an update (KB976002). Now, when I load up my laptop, it comes up with what amounts to nothing more than an advertisment for the many web browsers. I can't turn this off; going to the list of updates, this one is un-installable. Is there anything I can do to disable it?

Matt
Old 27-02-10, 01:38 PM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Computer Help - "browser choice" pop-up

It's not an advertisement it's the eu pressuring microsoft to not force people to use their unsecure one. If it gives you the option for firefox, choose that matt and it'll go away for ever and you'll have a faster more secure, more comprehensive/user friendly browsing experience.
Old 27-02-10, 02:22 PM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post
Is there anything I can do to disable it?
Choose a browser?

Protip: The only incorrect answer is IE
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-10, 02:24 PM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

And still IE will stay on your machine anyway for many things.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-10, 04:41 PM   #5
ravingdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
It's not an advertisement it's the eu pressuring microsoft to not force people to use their unsecure one. If it gives you the option for firefox, choose that matt and it'll go away for ever and you'll have a faster more secure, more comprehensive/user friendly browsing experience.
You've been listening to the German government too much haven't you!

I disagree with most of what is said above and think IE is a very good browser, however I use Firefox myself simply for the add-ons.

The box you are seeing is a needless piece of bureaucracy enforced on Microsoft by the EU, it serves no purpose but to bemuse and confuse, people who know enough about computers and browsers to make an informed choice can do so without this popup (and probably already have done) and those that do not know enough should not be given more options to add to their confusion.
Old 27-02-10, 04:45 PM   #6
TheOnlyNemesis

IE sucks, choose one of the others, any of them will be better but Chrome or Firefox are best.
Old 27-02-10, 05:39 PM   #7
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravingdavis View Post
You've been listening to the German government too much haven't you!

I disagree with most of what is said above and think IE is a very good browser, however I use Firefox myself simply for the add-ons.

The box you are seeing is a needless piece of bureaucracy enforced on Microsoft by the EU, it serves no purpose but to bemuse and confuse, people who know enough about computers and browsers to make an informed choice can do so without this popup (and probably already have done) and those that do not know enough should not be given more options to add to their confusion.
Firefox is superior in most respects imo (apart from startup time).
And yeah it is just bound to confuse people.
Old 27-02-10, 07:39 PM   #8
Triv650

Firefox, firefox, firefox. Can't say it enough, it's the best and most flexible browser out of the lot, hence it's larger than Chrome but smaller than IE market share despite not being bundled.