SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-04-06, 02:35 PM   #1
DanDare

Default Retained Fire Service dilemma

Some of you may remember a little while back I was hunting for a new job.
Well I managed to get a new job close to home for a fair wage and its quite relaxed which suits me fine. I have been here about a month and a half now.

My dilemma is I went to an open evening last night for the retained Fire Service at my local Station. Its what I've dreamt of doing since a child as its a family tradition. Now how do I sell it to my new company that I need their permission to be able to proceed with any application????

I work for a company that manufactures disabled access lifts as an Accounts and Purchase clerk. So my role isn't a hugely important one in the grand scheme of things here.

I suppose if I don't ask, I don't get.
Old 11-04-06, 02:49 PM   #2
diamond

What sort of commitment is required, is it likely to affect your day to day work?

When i joined the TA i just went in to HR and said "by the way i've joined the TA and will be needing time of to do training" They just nodded and said ok, and told me i was entitled to 2 weeks extra leave for TA duties.

Just go speak to HR and see what they say.
Old 11-04-06, 03:15 PM   #3
K

I'd say go for it too. It's kinda like being in the TA or a Special Constable - very few companies actively stop employees from serving the community in this way.

My Uncle was a relief Fireman in North Wales - and he was an engineer at Dynorwic Hydro-electric power station! So you should be OK!

He mostly dealt with grass fires in summer from tourists careless fag-butts, and sheep stuck halfway down an inaccessable cliff in winter!
Old 11-04-06, 03:50 PM   #4
cuffy

I joined the retained 7 yearts ago and due too me working outside the 2mile/4 minute response zone i went on 3/4 cover..still very satisfying, if your worried about getting time off for your courses say you'll take it as unpaid leave, because you'll get full time fire fighters money for all your courses attended.
Any ther questions just drop me a pm....think i still got all my RTA,BA and basic fire fighting course work somewhere
Old 11-04-06, 04:05 PM   #5
independentphoto

Explain why you REALLY want to participate in such a worthwhile job. That should do it if you're honest and passionate about it.

Garry
Old 12-04-06, 06:23 AM   #6
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

When I was a child (back in the Dark Ages) my father was a part-time(as they called them then) fireman. He was lucky, in that he worked literally across the road from the Fire Station, so when his bleeper went off he was normally one of the first to get there. His employers were more than happy for him to go running off whenever he needed to.

I think his most embarrassing moment was when he attended a fire and found it was OUR house..................my Mum had set the chimney of fire!

And when I got into bikes he reeled out long lists of biking-related horrors he'd seen when attending bad accidents.

I'd say Go For It

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 09:44 AM   #7
stewboy

im in the TA and i only get 1 week extra ....... dam
Old 12-04-06, 09:47 AM   #8
rwoodcock01

As has been said already, go speak to your HR department, my lot where I work give you two weeks if your TA.

You won't know if you don't ask.....right?

Cheers

Rich
Old 12-04-06, 09:51 AM   #9
diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewboy
im in the TA and i only get 1 week extra ....... dam
I get 2 extra weeks on top of my 7 weeks holiday entitlement

Some times it pays to be a civil servant. (but not often)