SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-03-14, 02:16 PM   #21
L3nny
Mega Poster

Default Re: Biking is a real pain to get into nowadays.

My GF is just going through all this at the moment and I am so glad I passed my test just before all this nonsence came in.

She has been riding her 125 on the road, commuting daily for almost a year, she has an SV with a 33bhp ECU in it sat in the garage. In the old days, well a few years ago, she could have had a couple of lessons at her own pace, carried on riding the 125 to gain experience and when she felt ready for her test, book herself in, take it on her own bike, pass, then ride the SV with the restrictor for a couple of years, then move up.

Now she has to be rushed through a 2 day mod 1 course and test, then the same for her mod 2. All on hired (at huge expense) bikes she isn't used to riding with not much change from £700!

Granted she can now ride a full power bike but she isn't really fussed about that.
Old 31-03-14, 03:04 PM   #22
veenee

My GF is riding 125 Vespa on L plates but she wouldn't mind to have a licence (otherwise it is passing CBT every two years).

Do you know if you can pass A1 test on your own, automatic scooter? Or it has to be 125 motorcycle?
Old 31-03-14, 04:19 PM   #23
GlosGambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvNewbie View Post
The DAS course is obviously quite expensive. It is a real shame they have removed the pass on a 125cc and get an automatic upgrade route into biking because I'm sure the cost alone will put plenty of people off doing it.

That being said, I found the DAS course to be great fun. I did it with some good instructors and nice clean XJ6 bikes.

I passed both tests first time, but still can't ride a bike for peanuts so I guess that doesn't say much
I paid approx £380 for my das course, tests included. Great instructor and a lot of fun - I think it is pretty good value seeing as learning to drive a car costs a lot more on average these days (40 hours training at £25/hr = £1000).

Veenee, yes she can do the tests on her 125 vespa - if it's automatic she will be restricted to automatic bikes of 125/11kW. And if she wants to ride geared motorcycles or anything bigger, she will have to take the theory and practical tests again at a later date.
Old 31-03-14, 04:24 PM   #24
atassiedevil

You can pass on a 125 scooter, but they'll put on your license restricted to automatic vehicles, so you can only ride ungeared mopeds/125 scooters. Can still use motorways, and visit the continent and carry passengers too
It's still an A1 license.
Old 31-03-14, 04:44 PM   #25
timwilky
Mega Poster

I remember similar discussions when

They scrapped the 4 times round the block.
They stopped 250 L plate.
They introduced the CBT.
They introduced DAS.
They introduced theory tests.
They introduced 2 part tests.

I have lost too many friends of my childhood to bikes. One of which resulted in the ban on helmet chin cups. In the real world getting a bike licence is not expensive. Look how much driving schools charge for a cage. The only difference being mum/dad can accompany a cage learner (This is the way I passed 37 years ago without any formal lessons, in my own car, insured for me as a learner).

I got on two wheels, rode, fell off and got back on again. My 250s at 17 (c15 -> hustler -> gt250) had the performance of a slug compared to the LCs that stopped 250 learners in their tracks. As a dad and granddad would I want to see my kids and grandkids on two wheels? Hell yes. But do I want them to be safe as possible, equipped with the knowledge (if not the riding skill) to stay safe long enough to learn how to ride? Hell yes.

So, yes it may be a faff getting a licence. But treat it as an adventure. The path may be long. but the rewards are there when you finally make it.
Old 31-03-14, 04:53 PM   #26
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Well said Tim, it is a lot of faffing about and arguably for some totally unnecessary to have all these stepping stones to work through when you're young...but when you're young you can be awfully stupid too and the more that rubs off whilst accompanied in training the better!

Mind you saying all that I'm awfully stupid these days (which is partly why I stopped myself getting into big bikes at a young age when I was even worse...)

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 31-03-14 at 04:54 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-14, 04:55 PM   #27
Fallout
Mega Poster

I agree with the adventure argument. I rode a 125 on Ls for 2 years, then an SV for 3+ before I got the gixxer. People are too quick to jump up the power band. I know a few people who have only been riding a couple of years and "don't know what to get" because they've ridden the fastest bikes. Peaking too soon and all that. Seems a bit sad. I still have the giggles of a thou superbike to look forward to.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-14, 06:21 PM   #28
veenee

GlosGambit, atassiedevil, thanks - I shall encourage her to pass the test!
Old 01-04-14, 08:37 AM   #29
atassiedevil

I'll add this too.

I'd not ridden a big bike for over 10 years, and wasn't just going to throw myself back in the saddle without some tuition, and acclimatisation. 1 on 1 tution was going to cost me over £1000, and the guy i spoke to suggested i simply retake my test, which would give me a few days on the road, under supervision, and only cost me £600.

Passed both MOD tests with no faults, and seeing what you have to do these days to get your license, from a safety perspective, i can only approve.

From when they brought in CBT / MOD1 /MOD2, I've heard (and this may be anecdotal) first year reported accidents for new riders dropped by 90%.

Yes, it's a pain. But at least you're reasonably well equipped to ride safely from the off, and in a far better position not to hurt yourself. It's all learning from there though!

Not sure i agree with the whole A1/A2/A license thing, but that's another story!
Old 01-04-14, 09:05 AM   #30
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atassiedevil View Post
. 1 on 1 tution was going to cost me over £1000,
Really?? I've taken a couple of advanced lessons, first was a half day for £80

I also did two full days which were subsidised by the council, I think they were £45 for a full day, not one on one but there was only one other student with me.