SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-12-04, 02:06 PM   #1
jj003

Default SV650s k4 end-can/ dubble bubble/ tyres/ running in/

Had new black sv650s k4 for two months, what end-can to recommend in order to get loud but legal ducati-ish nice burble... on a budget..

is dubble bubble necessary?

Also, running in now at 400m, never been over 6000rpm, yet enough to thrill. Am i in for a nice surprise once run in and climbing the rpm?

Back wheel grip is terrible when using back brake alone, nearly wiped on a corner, is this cos i should be using front more or cos of tyres?

thnks guys...and gals..jj
Old 04-12-04, 04:32 PM   #2
Carsick

Not sure about the end-can recommendations. I'm planning on getting a Quill T3 when my budget allows.

Bit of a thrill when you get run in? Yeah, you could say that.
It doesn't have anything like the top-end rush of an I4, but there is alot more power to be had above the running in speed.

a double bubble is only /really/ necessary if you find the wind blast too much.
On the other hand, the black SV does look nice with a black screen, so I put a double on while I was at it.

You shouldn't be using the brakes at all on corners.
If overused the back brake will easily lock up the wheel, as well.
You should use your front brake for almost everything except slow speed stuff, then you favour the back.
Old 04-12-04, 05:32 PM   #3
Warren

NEVER use the front brake on a corner tho
Old 04-12-04, 05:37 PM   #4
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
NEVER use the front brake on a corner tho
Yeah, probably should have emphasized that point a little more.
The back brake is just interesting on corners, the front is not a good idea unless you're an extremely experienced rider and know how to use it to adjust your line. I don't count myself among those experienced enough by a long way.
Old 04-12-04, 06:06 PM   #5
Daz

Default Re: SV650s k4 end-can/ dubble bubble/ tyres/ running in/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj003
Back wheel grip is terrible when using back brake alone, nearly wiped on a corner, is this cos i should be using front more or cos of tyres?
I did wipe out using the back brake. The road conditions were terrible, but I still wonder about the tyres Can't wait to change them.
Old 04-12-04, 06:10 PM   #6
jj003

thanks to all the replies..will endeavour to slow down before the corner..just need to start trusting the bike when leaning in...thanks again..j
Old 04-12-04, 07:04 PM   #7
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj003
slow down before the corner.
On a bike, slow in, fast out is the key (but not in winter)

NEVER touch the brakes mid-corner... Otherwise, low sides 'r' us

I do agree that the stock Dunlop rubber isn't the best, but they're fine & TBH I ain't putting new rubber on 'til the 220's are dead... Then it'll be BT 014's

Ride safe
Old 04-12-04, 07:21 PM   #8
jj003

never touch brakes mid corner, yes, but sometimes i come into a tight slow corner too fast, and instinctivley go for brakes, otherwise goin to run outa road, maybe i need to do more counter steering..and lean more, trusting the bike, but always think it gonna go from under me..
Old 04-12-04, 07:49 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Sometimes you can use your brakes fine in a corner, it just depends on your line and how hard you're attacking it. But until you figure out when you can and can't, don't. And you need a real light touch as well.

For the exhaust, I had a CCC road legal stainless end can which was very good for what it was, but I'd not buy another- smart option is a race can with a removable baffle now I think. If I was in the market for a single slip-on, I'd get a Remus Revolution. If I was in the market for 2, I'd get a rene high level
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-04, 07:55 PM   #10
Wiltshire7

i crashed when using the front brake on a left hand turn, the forks dipped and the bike stood up.

however, on slow roads where u want a turn off, say a normal 90 degree turn, i think using the brake is fine as long as ur not going fast enough to dip the fork much if u use the brake. then the bike's stability shouldnt be affected too much.

or i could be talking crap, i did crash remmeber.