SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-09-07, 05:30 PM   #1
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default Gear change problem-can't get past 2nd gear

On the way to work today about 5 mins away 3 loud clunks where heard at the bottom of the engine so took it easy and parked up at work was able to get the bike into neutral from top gear easily, now i find i can't get it past 2nd gear, it will select 1st neutral second like normal but won't go any further

Something tells me this is a biggy with the engine having to come out for a transmission overhaul, if that's the case the bikes of the road until next year , will have to get the dosh together for this one!

Anyone had, this fixed this or any ideas on probable fix or cost then all advice appreciated
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 07:13 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gear change problem-can't get past 2nd gear

Not good, does the lever move up but not get the gear, or does the lever go solid above 2nd? I'd check the external gear selector mechanism first, (under the clutch basket), and cross my fingers.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 07:25 PM   #3
muzikill
Mega Poster

It goes solid with the clutch lever in ready to engage as i said i can select 1st 2nd and neutral without any problems, the engine is running fine it's just trying to get it above 2nd in the sequential process, btw a new clutch cable was fitted recently and the clutch / gear selector mechanism was adjusted.....i wonder if its the gear selector thats gone! it's at its top limit thinking no more gears to select?
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 11-09-07 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 07:47 PM   #4
loneranger

hi ,im having trouble getting into neutral,all other gears ok any ideas anyone ,cheers
Old 11-09-07, 07:59 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Muzikill:
Assuming that you've checked the lever and pivot and linkage etc, and if the clutch works OK for the first two and neutral, then that's not likely to be the problem. If the lever goes solid above second then the external shift bits aren't probable as the fault, ordinarily the lever would move as if you were on the way to the gear but not actually do it if they were the problem area.
All the same I'd look there first before having the motor apart.
Fingers further crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneranger View Post
hi ,im having trouble getting into neutral,all other gears ok any ideas anyone ,cheers
Clutch adjustment by far the most likely culprit, search under my name for how to do it.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 08:04 PM   #6
muzikill
Mega Poster

I really think its going to be the selector barrel / forks and possible gear tooth damage on this one!
Old 11-09-07, 08:16 PM   #7
Dan

Lot of good information in this thread about Richie's and my recent experience with his SV 'box.

Sounds like a similar-ish problem, although hopefully for you it's something simple as Sid's suggested.
Old 14-03-10, 07:45 PM   #8
muzikill
Mega Poster

i am resurecting an old thread, in a months time i will have the dosh together to fix the bike, any help and advice appreciated

The engine will need to be dropped and split and the gears replaced!

Please, please please help me get back on the road!
Old 14-03-10, 10:10 PM   #9
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

what happened in the middle since 2007?? did you do all the diagnostics?
may just be cheeper to replace the engine complete as to split it you will need to take the barels off, the engine splits verticaly, not horizontaly like say a zx7r, this means you will have lots of gaskets to change
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote