SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-08, 09:10 PM   #1
andyg1978

Post Advice for a Newbie

I have just joined SV650.org and would just like to say hi to everybody out there.
I am very new to riding, having just passed my DAS late May of this year and for my first bike I purchased a 2000 SV650 Curvy.
Could anybody help me out with a coupe of questions?
Firstly I have a question about the SV650 in general. What sort of things should I be checking and how often should I be checking them. Please dont hold back with things that may be obvious, I have been a car driver for years and am used to checking oil, tyre pressures etc but I am completely new to bikes.
I also have a couple of questions about the my SV650. The bike itself is in very good condition for a 2000 bike, with just over 14,000 on the clock. There are a couple of things I would like to do to it though.
The wing mirrors are not standard mirrors. You can see from the photos they are circular and raised nigher than the mirriors that the Curvy came with. They have rust on them and I would like to replace them. Can anybody suggest replacements and where to buy them from.

Also there seems to be some marks on the front forks. Does anybody know if there is a way to remove them and get the forks back to being nice and shiny?

Hope to hear from you all soon.

AndyG -
Old 09-07-08, 10:22 PM   #2
muffles

Default Re: Advice for a Newbie

Are they definitely the wrong mirrors? Just had a quick google and as I thought they are circular as standard, about that height too, they just aren't chrome in the picture I found. But that's not to say they didn't come in chrome...

Old 09-07-08, 10:24 PM   #3
muffles

Oh and I suspect you'd need to take the forks off and spray them to get rid of those (stone chip?) marks...
Old 09-07-08, 10:59 PM   #4
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

I can't help with your mirror/fork issue but..........

WELCOME DUDE enjoy the madhouse, pleanty of folk on here will give you a helping hand and point you in the right direction.

Nice bike for a curvy when ya bored of it a black pointy is the way to go x
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 11:38 PM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

Check out Dizzyblonde's thread on forks for some hard work but very shiney results, and as to mirrors and 10mm threaded ones will do, best bet is to look at somewhere like Busters online selection and choose what you like, then have a look on ebay for them cheaper.

Oh and welcome and mind Northwind as he'll have to rebuilding the whole thing in a fortnight

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 11:56 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Those mirrors are patterns ones but no worries, suzuki did a $hit job in the first place.

If you're worried about anything being shiny then you haven't got enough grease on it.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...ght=suzy+bares
av that you slaaaags...

my rebuild job on dizzyblondes "suzy" curvy 650S ... polishing done by dizzy, spannering by myself...
Old 11-07-08, 10:05 AM   #7
andyg1978

Thanks for all the advice guys

AndyG
Old 11-07-08, 10:23 AM   #8
dyzio
Mega Poster

Hi and welcome,
Don't know much about naked sv's but as for the forks, read this.
Hope this helps.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote