SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 11-05-09, 01:53 PM   #11
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Newbie trackday advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
talking of which I need some new leathers and pants with knee sliders...
Don't know if you really want those last items, I doubt you will have much use for them on a 1st trackday.

However probably best to have them just in case - just make sure that you dont set a goal to get them scuffed - thats a surefire way to gaining skills in fairing plastic repair

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 02:39 PM   #12
imaleon

If you're really scared of binning your bike and considering renting another for 250 quid, why don't you use that 250 quid to buy a set of track fairings, spare levers and pegs. But as people have said if you stay within your limits and set your bike up properly you should be fine; the most likely thing to spit you off is if someone ****es oil all round a bend. Make sure you have your tyres sorted, ie correct track pressures, condition etc. I would definately get a set of leathers with knee sliders, brands is good for knee down action
Old 05-08-09, 09:01 AM   #13
Dave20046
Mega Poster

****thread revival******

Quick question, got my first trackday coming up and I'm skint and a one bike man so losing my bike would be a major pain in the ****. Could anyone share any tips on protecting the bike? I have frame sliders and I think I'll remove my lowers but does anyone have any other tips? Does anyone have any ideas on protecting fairings? I can see the headlight plastics getting destroyed in a slide is there anything I could protect them with? I thought about just gaffa taping strips of mild steel to the sides
Old 05-08-09, 09:13 AM   #14
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
****thread revival******

Quick question, got my first trackday coming up and I'm skint and a one bike man so losing my bike would be a major pain in the ****. Could anyone share any tips on protecting the bike? I have frame sliders and I think I'll remove my lowers but does anyone have any other tips? Does anyone have any ideas on protecting fairings? I can see the headlight plastics getting destroyed in a slide is there anything I could protect them with? I thought about just gaffa taping strips of mild steel to the sides
Dont ride beyond your capabilities, then you "shouldn't" come off. I never had an off until I pushed myself too far, so just take it steady & most of all enjoy it
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 09:14 AM   #15
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
Dont ride beyond your capabilities, then you "shouldn't" come off. I never had an off until I pushed myself too far, so just take it steady & most of all enjoy it
Cheers mr C but it's my first trackday+wet+new bike (probably going to be like the 10th time I've ridden it) and I'm a pessimist.
Going round some bends on the AR the backend went without warning but it was as I was picking it up anyway so didn't trip me up, thing was I was taking it pretty easy so can invisage some arsé/tarmac interface on a soaking track

Last edited by Dave20046; 05-08-09 at 09:17 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 09:17 AM   #16
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
****thread revival******

I would have said that if you rely on your bike, dont take it on the track...

I took my Z750 on the track 1st time after only owning it about 8 weeks, no problems, and again the other month.

So if I can do it without crashing, so can you.

Beware fo mods like the mild steel - if its not attached to structural bits - ie just to plastics it COULD cause more damage - also not sure if the Trackday organisers want refugees from Mad Max on their track

Just go, take it easy, dont let the red mist push you out of your comfort zone - if you find it decending pull into the pits and cool down, you dont HAVE to be out for the full session, and better to lose a few minutes of tracktime than to have to get all that gravel out of your bike.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 09:19 AM   #17
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Cheers mr C but it's my first trackday+wet+new bike (probably going to be like the 10th time I've ridden it) and I'm a pessimist.
Going round some bends on the AR the backend went without warning but it was as I was picking it up anyway so didn't trip me up, thing was I was taking it pretty easy so can invisage some arsé/tarmac interface on a soaking track

The Track / runway has a hell of alot more grip than the contaminated road surface.

also it's gonna be dry.... Dry DRY i tell you. crosses fingers, legs & arms
Old 05-08-09, 09:21 AM   #18
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

what tyres are you on dave? If they're the standard dunlop d220's which come with the bike from new (seriously doubt it but just in case) then take it well steady. Those things should be friggin band if you ask me

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 09:25 AM   #19
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
The Track / runway has a hell of alot more grip than the contaminated road surface.

also it's gonna be dry.... Dry DRY i tell you. crosses fingers, legs & arms
Good point richie (oh yeah forgot about that, I'll keep mine crossed too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
what tyres are you on dave? If they're the standard dunlop d220's which come with the bike from new (seriously doubt it but just in case) then take it well steady. Those things should be friggin band if you ask me
haha no way I'm on avon storms which are the best tyres I've had yet allround (had battleaxes{?} and dunlop d208rrs) way more confidence on those mothers but still possible. However I've only ever ridden on the road.
Old 05-08-09, 09:26 AM   #20
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
I would have said that if you rely on your bike, dont take it on the track...

I took my Z750 on the track 1st time after only owning it about 8 weeks, no problems, and again the other month.

So if I can do it without crashing, so can you.

Beware fo mods like the mild steel - if its not attached to structural bits - ie just to plastics it COULD cause more damage - also not sure if the Trackday organisers want refugees from Mad Max on their track

Just go, take it easy, dont let the red mist push you out of your comfort zone - if you find it decending pull into the pits and cool down, you dont HAVE to be out for the full session, and better to lose a few minutes of tracktime than to have to get all that gravel out of your bike.
Good advice - cheers soulkiss (just pm'd you asking about it actually) . I'll just keep within my limits and try my best to keep it rubber side down!