SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-08-08, 07:03 PM   #1
VolatileParsley

Default Advice on Exhaust Rattle Please

Hello everyone,

Noticed something a little odd with my new(ish) Fuel exhaust. With baffle out (on a private road) it sounds fine, no problems. With the baffle in it's quieter (obviously) but it also makes a bit of a rattling noise. I've checked for a miniature Mexican band living in the baffle but there's definitely nothing there.

Now with baffle in or out the bike coughs and splutters a bit now and then from the exhaust; when either hot or cold. It started doing this before I put the new exhaust on so I don't think it's anything necessarily to do with the new exhaust itself.

Is this rattling and the coughing and spluttering a symptom of the air filter needing changing or the throttle bodies needing balancing? Note, I'm a mechanical numpty so I'm not blessed with skills in this area. I do have a Haynes manual and a big hammer though.

Should probably mention that it's 33bhp restricted with a kit from FIA and that it seems to ride just fine but I have noticed a bit of a drop in MPG.

Any ideas oh mighty .org?
Old 27-08-08, 06:57 AM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Advice on Exhaust Rattle Please

Start simple.....

Some people can hear the turbulent noise coming from the small hole left behind by where the baffle bolt used to be, some say it is a rattle. Have you got a spare nut and bolt you could use to fill this?

Old 27-08-08, 09:50 AM   #3
VolatileParsley

Thanks DD. The rattle only occurs with the baffle (and therefore the nut and bolt) in place. Can't hear it with the baffle out, at least not over the noise of the exhaust anyway.

Rode it to work this morning with the baffle in and the nut and bolt done up as tight as a sardine's you know what. Wanted to make sure that it wasn't the nut and bolt rattling around. Rattled when I set off, not rattling when I got to work. Not coughing or spluttering either.

Your suggestion of turbulence noise is, I suspect, the cause of the apparent rattle but I'm still a little concerned with the coughing and spluttering. I know after market exhausts can cause pops to occur on overrun because of the PAIR system but this is spluttering when just on idle.

I'll see what it's like on the way home tonight. I'm afraid I'm a natural born worrier. Software I can deal with, mechanical stuff leaves me scratching my head looking dumb.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 27-08-08, 12:00 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Check all you connections, have you done up all the exhaust clamps and are all the exhaust mounting bolts done up properly (including the one underneath accessed from the left hand side)?

Mind you it doesn't have to be the exhaust that is rattling, check all your bolts and check under the rear seat and the tool kit. Can you pin point a rough area?
Old 27-08-08, 12:07 PM   #5
vardypeeps

LOL this happened to me the other day. Had a rattle coming from my exhaust and thought it was from my baffle fittings as it had come loose and got lost down the road somewhere. After taking the link pipes etc off and shaking them upside down (to no avail but still rattling) I looked on the opposite side and welded to the link pipe is a holder with a square nut loose inside it. Im guessing this is the fixing you access from the left hand side if only I had checked this before taking the exhaust off LMAO.
Pair of pliers and 30 seconds later said rattling nut was removed as it was not being used anyway.

Gosh thats alot of typing I'm bored. Make sure you check your whole exhaust before taking it off