SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-01-10, 10:46 PM   #11
Von Teese

Default Re: Advice re. an elderly cat

Claire, I would definately take him to the vet

Is it worse after he has been lying down then gets up or is it worse after he has been mobile on it?

It is possibly arthritis brought on by the extreme cold but you really do need to get it checked over and then if it is your vet can prescribe some painkillers that are also anti inflammatories to help with the inflammation in the joint.

If he seems happy in himself despite the sore leg then fair enough but if he is moping about, off his food then you must do what is right for the cat and make the ultimate sacrifice of your feelings for his comfort xxx (sorry sweetie).

Old 07-01-10, 10:50 PM   #12
anna
Mega Poster

I know it sounds silly and I could be entirely wrong, but it might be worth just checking the paw.

If something has embeded itself into the paw then it might favor not putting weight on it and walking as if the leg was hurt.

As others have said though, it is worth a trip to the vet.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 10:51 PM   #13
Specialone

Forgot to mention, my mother-in-laws cat was similar age and very unstable on his feet, not limping, but wobbly.
Vet prescribed steriods, he was like a cat half his age, made a huge difference, he lasted about another 18 quality months but eventually the inevitable happened and had to be put to sleep.
Just to keep in mind if the vet dont mention it.

Phil
Old 08-01-10, 07:50 AM   #14
Speedy Claire

I`m going to try and get an appt this morning. Last night he was hobbling and eating but today his little routine is totally out. He usually jumps off the bed and races downstairs for food but this morning he hasn`t even got off the bed and his paw looks swollen. He always jumps up at the bathroom sink when I`m brushing my teeth so he can have a drink of water from the tap.... today he hasn`t and that with not eating is a real giveaway that something isn`t quite right.
Old 08-01-10, 08:11 AM   #15
Von Teese

If the actual paw is swollen it could be possible that he has a foreign body in it???
Hard to really say etc

Good luck hon, I know how upsetting it is when your pets are injured / unwell xxx
Old 08-01-10, 08:49 AM   #16
Kate Moss

Awww poor kitty. If i told you I was limping, in pain and off my food and drink, you would tell me to go to the Dr's wouldn't you?! I think thats what your little cat needs! Hope you manage to get an appointment and a caring vet. I'm sure they will try and fix the problem with other means before suggesting anything more drastic. Let us know how you get on.

Kate x
Old 08-01-10, 11:18 AM   #17
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

If nothing else the vet can reassure you and then give him an anti inflammatory shot which will make him feel better. Hope it all goes OK. I was awoken this morning by Cromarty, or should that be Vomity, barfing up a furball at 5am. Who needs an alarm clock. Then he got back into bed demanding cuddles.
Old 08-01-10, 11:23 AM   #18
Warthog

Vets are committed to doing the best thing for every animal. They are not hell bent on putting everything with any slight ailment down. Go to the vet, and they will suggest the best course of action.
Old 08-01-10, 11:47 AM   #19
mr.anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Vets are committed to doing the best thing for every animal. They are not hell bent on putting everything with any slight ailment down. Go to the vet, and they will suggest the best course of action.
+1, my girlfriend hates having to put animals down, and on a personal and professional level will do everything to help it.
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 04:22 PM   #20
Speedy Claire

Well it was good news and I didn`t need to make any decisions. She didn`t x-ray it but the vet thinks it`s a sprain and a touch of arthritis so he has some anti inflammatories. Have to admit the lower half of his leg does look at a bit of an odd angle and he`s not weight bearing on it at all but he`s eating again