SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-03-15, 01:12 PM   #11
SV650Racer

Default Re: Chinese POS.

Fuels gone stale. Fresh fuel, new plug and clean out the carb, mainly blocked pilot jet will prevent starting and stale fuel messes up plugs. Most common job we get in this time of year.
Old 24-03-15, 01:14 PM   #12
atassiedevil

It definitely sounds like ignition. Spark is weak if it's yellow, so that is where to start.

so, thats not too many components. I'd discard ignition switch as it'll either spark or not, so you've CDI charging coil, ignition pickup coil, cdi unit, coil, plug, plug cap.

Most likely culprits are coil, plug, cap, ht lead. You're replacing all of those in one hit, so i'd expect that to help greatly or fix the problem

Report back when thats replaced. If that still doesn't fix the issue i'd look at a new CDI unit (around £20 i recall) or replacing the stator/cdi plate, which is't much either.

mine was the stator plate, the flywheel was loose and had lunched the pickup coil. £12 to fix, so not too bad.
Old 24-03-15, 01:21 PM   #13
SvNewbie

Sounds like a plan. If the ignition parts don't help I'll see if it will start on a whiff of easy start.
Old 24-03-15, 01:52 PM   #14
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

If you want to give it a service, a service kit from CMPO is about £20 delivered

http://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonl...Lexmoto%29.php

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-15, 04:39 PM   #15
willf

Did you get it going mate?
Old 27-03-15, 05:11 PM   #16
SvNewbie

Heading over there tonight to take the battery off and leave it charging for the evening. May also remove the Carb if I can see enough to do it as will be dark by the time I'm there. That way I can clean it up tonight and get it refitted tomorrow, hopefully before the rain starts!
Old 27-03-15, 10:34 PM   #17
SvNewbie

Took the carb off tonight, to be honest it was pretty much spotless inside. Tiny bit of reside at the bottom of the float bowl but nothing that would account for not starting. Gave them a while over and sprayed some car cleaner through the jets just in case. Pretty sure it must be ignition now. See how it goes when I put it all back together tomorrow.
Old 28-03-15, 02:34 PM   #18
SvNewbie

Yup, New spark, coil, HT lead and boot and away it went. Slightly annoying not knowing exactly which part went but for the sake of £13 in parts, £16 for a cheap battery charger and a few quid for carb cleaner was quite good to do everything at once.
Old 28-03-15, 08:30 PM   #19
willf

Nice one! Shame it's still a Chinese pos, but good feeling when you fix it yourself
Old 30-03-15, 09:25 AM   #20
SvNewbie

Yeah, I'd almost convinced myself that it was worth trying to pick one up as cheap transport. My friend got hers for just over £200, and there is almost nothing on them that can't be fixed for the price of a good night out.

That was until I rode it for a few miles, the brakes were barely adequate and with the wide bars I couldn't filter nearly as much as I'm used to. Was glad to be back on the SV