SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-09-12, 08:26 AM   #1
Amadeus

Default ADT alarms

Ive just moved into a new (to me) house which has an ADT alarm.
The previous owner had a managed contract and I originally thought I would continue that. However, when I phoned ADT to ask about doing that they said that they couldn't give me a price over the phone", they had to send a consultant out who would talk to me about my security requirements. I decided that this was merely a way of determining how much they thought I could afford so old them to forget it.
I'm having some electrical work done and the electrician needs to tun the power off but was concerned that the alarm would trigger when power was resumed. I called ADT - what a nightmare! They said that the battery should back it up but it would beep at me until my code was entered - as I don't have a contract I don't have a code - their response "well that's going to be a bit annoying". They kept putting me on hold "to check thing" - I think it was merely to add to my phone bill. They said that they could send someone round £130 for first 1/2 hour... I just want to have it changed to bell only. Anyone do ADT alarms in Berkshire?
And is the box with a red top and a key in the bedroom something to do with the alarm?
If the previous owner has reset the code (are there 2?) how can I change the code to one of my choice?

Thanks
Old 04-09-12, 08:28 AM   #2
DaveRushton

Default Re: ADT alarms

The box in the room sounds like a panic alarm, press the button in and see what happeneds
DaveRushton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 08:39 AM   #3
Amadeus

Ahh!

Time for my infamous Mr Jones impression: don't panic Mr Manwaring, don't panic!!!

Thanks for the info - one less puzzle!
Old 04-09-12, 08:46 AM   #4
Bri w

If you can avoid letting ADT into your house do so. If you do let them in, be prepared to quite literally throw them out.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 08:52 AM   #5
Amadeus

Thanks Bri - that's what I thought. I'm amazed by the apparent disdain they seem to have for customers. I'm surprised they haven't been investigated by watchdog or someone.
Old 04-09-12, 08:53 AM   #6
Spank86

find main box, disconnect battery.
Old 04-09-12, 09:00 AM   #7
Amadeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
find main box, disconnect battery.
Thanks.
Tho that would disable the entire alarm functionality wouldn't it, rather than just having it in bell only mode?
Old 04-09-12, 09:07 AM   #8
Spank86

yes, it would disable the whole lot.

The alternative is to disconnect it from the phone line, then it can't dial out just alarm in the house.

Code wise you probably need to talk to the old owners as they should have had all the codes for it and they wont have changed.
Old 04-09-12, 10:33 AM   #9
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Put a pic of the box with the buttons up here so we know which alarm it is and if it's a remote keypad or not and send El_Saxo a PM. Before the bringers of doom start, all a picture will do will let us know which system he has, it will not allow someone to magically be able to override it, I wouldn't be able to get into your car and start it because I have seen a picture of it now would I.

If you cut the power the outside bell will go off but will stop after 20 minutes this is part of environmental law the bells are not allowed to sound for more than 20 minutes and chances are there is also a back battery in the alarm box itself, so that's two backups you need to wait to run out.

The box with the red button is a panic alarm and should have a reset key somewhere but once the little box has been physically reset you then have to enter your code to reset it at the alarm.

If you have the alarm code then you should hopefully be able to change the alarm code PROVIDING the code you have is the 'managers code'.

Trust me, I met El_Saxo whilst working at ADT for 4 years as an alarm technician, he still works there but I've been out since 2005.

I don't want to know it but have a look at the sticker somewhere on the alarm (or possible on the screen depending on which model alarm it is) for the contract number, if it starts with 'DL' and then several numbers then good luck. That is a dealership install, installs that were carried out by contractors who install as many as they can to get their £ per install and normally have no issues cutting corners or doing dodgy wiring just so they can get on to the next job. A MASSIVE percentage of the faults and problems, especially repeat problems came from these installs.

Look right-> <-Look Left

Last edited by _Stretchie_; 04-09-12 at 10:38 AM.
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 11:00 AM   #10
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Pm _Stretchie_ and El Saxo and listen to them. Stretch worked for them for over 4 years I think and this was his bread and butter and Saxo is still with them.

Listen to them above others as you luckily have two people on this forum who genuinely know what they are talking about in this regard!