SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-04-06, 08:03 AM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default speed cameras, safety partnership b'stards

Ok these revenue collectors in the back of estate cars, do they get you approaching or going away.

Little blighter took my photo in the cage Sunday morning 8:30 am I was doing about 35 in a 30 when I saw it in a layby 50yds ahead. What the hell was he doing at that time of day or was it simply he knew the road would be quite then and therefore more possibility of a driver slipping over the limit. Problem being I had 100 yds early left a 60 limit and felt like I was crawling.

Please say it would be set up for traffic heading away for it. I just hope I get the offer of a driver awareness course.
Old 10-04-06, 08:08 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Comiserations Tim I know just how you feel and I totally agree with you

I think it depends on the sort of camera. I am pretty sure that a mobile camera can get you if you are coming towards it or going away from it. I've been done in the past by a mobile camera when I was going away from it. I think I got done the other morning in similar circumstances.

I would have thought 35 in a 30 and you might just get a away with it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 08:14 AM   #3
Jelster

If you had an indicated 35, the chances are you were within 10% of the speed limit anyway. But I can understand your frustration; last summer I noticed a camera van on a bridge over a very open part of the A413, at 07:30 on a Sunday morning ! (however, it was a race day at Silverstone, and the 413 is a key bike route - Bastids!)

Old 10-04-06, 08:16 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

I had only popped out to buy some cable ties so passed it again on the way back, 5 mins later. Once out of sight ie, 80 yds from it but over the brow of a hill, I parked up for 5 mins hand out of window giving thumbs down and other gestures to indicate the b'stard was there. Most drivers acknowledged my warning , I just wish someone had done it for me. Well I have held a spotless licence for 28 years so I guess I am overdue
Old 10-04-06, 08:22 AM   #5
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
I had only popped out to buy some cable ties so passed it again on the way back, 5 mins later. Once out of sight ie, 80 yds from it but over the brow of a hill, I parked up for 5 mins hand out of window giving thumbs down and other gestures to indicate the b'stard was there. Most drivers acknowledged my warning , I just wish someone had done it for me.
Well done that man...

Some bloke made me aware of a speed trap in London when I had the Gixer (outside the Palace actually). They still pulled me over though... Picture this, dark visor, race can, small plate and a coloured lens cover... And he says "do you know why I stopped you?" All I could reply was "No"
(Turned out he didn't like my amber lens cover, he took it off, asked me to put it in my tank bag, and let me go.....

Old 10-04-06, 08:39 AM   #6
falc

Ran into one of these the other day in the fiesta on the M40, I was doing above 70 following this mini cooper and all of a sudden he slowed down and pulled over, when I looked around I saw the copper on the bridge so naturally I slowed down too. Hopefully I got away with it since it was the police and not camera safety people.
Old 10-04-06, 12:22 PM   #7
Gnan

mobile cameras are set up mainly to get you from the front as they also get a picture of the driver/rider for evidence.. if you were on 35 on the speedo you would only have been doing 32-33 actual so you'll be ok.

lancs prosecute dead on the 35mph and if caught you'd be up for the awareness course (applies from 35 -> 39 mph for the 1st offence)
Old 10-04-06, 12:42 PM   #8
Toypop

They do pick some curious locations - usually quiet spots where drivers can speed safely.

We had some work on a dual carriageway around here with workmen just metres away from passing cars and nothing but cones for protection. Big 30 limit signs were up and also signs warning of police speed checks.

I would go down there at 30 with cars an inch off my bumper or flying past me at 80mph on either side and in all those months I never saw a single camera van. Why on earth did they turn down what would have been a licence to print money and with good safety justifications?!?!
Old 10-04-06, 12:56 PM   #9
Wellbe

Not too sure about here but back in SA I think the police have pretty stringent regulations on where and when they can trap...

Say they were trapping near the workmen above and their being there caused a car to emergency brake and lose control, taking out a couple workmen. Scarily enough, trapping on the wide open safe to speed streches of road is often the safest.

Same applies to mist and bad weather, any conditions that may cause a last minute emergency break are avoided. It doesn't stop the buggers parking behind bushes however.

It really pained me to have to write that....
Old 23-04-06, 07:06 AM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

Ok, It is now 2 weeks to the day since I was sighted by that revenue camera and nothing in the post. So have I got a way with it or do they have extra time because of the bank holidays.