SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-05-11, 03:42 PM   #4031
sarah

Default Re: The running thread!

Good work guys, I haven't run for weeks.

I cycled to work last week though.
Old 10-05-11, 03:49 PM   #4032
Tim in Belgium

Injuries? Lack of time or just other/better/different things to do?
Old 10-05-11, 03:54 PM   #4033
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Injuries? Lack of time or just other/better/different things to do?
Was having tendon issues around marathon time so put me off running a bit i s'pose.

Been on hols and doing more swimming and cycling. I think this may be a summer of cycling for me
Old 10-05-11, 08:35 PM   #4034
The Idle Biker

Everyones doing better than me.

However, anyone ever started out for a run that they really couldn't be arsed with. Started slowly, even grumpily then slowly got into it and then gradually started to enjoy it, and then realised despite the fact that you've got injuries, they weren't playing up and then by the end of it had really done well?

Happened to me tonight, nothing spectacular just a nice 4 miles to Waterloo. Doesn't happen to me often mind you.
Old 11-05-11, 10:32 AM   #4035
WicklowSV

Don't post in this thread much - but its a great read to motivate me off the couch and into my runners!! I've a half marathon coming up on Sunday and my primary goal is to get to the finish line! If I can get my time close to 2 hours I'll be delighted. Last year I did it in 2:15 or so but to be honest I was probably in better shape 12 months ago. I'll post up how things went after Sunday - hopefully it'll be good news!
Old 11-05-11, 10:42 AM   #4036
Tim in Belgium

Good luck for Sunday, I'm doing a half myself up in Yorkshire (Ravenscar half marathion).

As for often starting runs badly, I often find with my short fast runs it takes 2-3 km to get up to speed and into a nice rhythm, the other week I did the return leg so fast after a slow astart I almost beat my PB.
Old 11-05-11, 09:49 PM   #4037
Stig

I'm still running. Each time I stop due to all the issues I have with knees, feet, trapped nerves etc... I still find myself going back into it. I run three times a week. Mostly 5-6 mile runs but once a week a like to stretch a little further. Also running with weighted gloves which makes a big difference to a normal run, especially if the distance is anything over a couple of miles.

I just can't stop. I know I should, but simply can't help myself. Especially when Foxy is out every bloody day (sometimes twice) doing runs.

Tim, I have found currently the earlier I go for a run, the longer it takes me to get into my stride. When I get up early for a run with Lisa, I find it really difficult to get in the groove. On the days I run on my own later in the morning, I find my pace is almost straight away there. Switch on the ipod, hit the road, and I'm in the zone straight away.

Anyways, just thought I would let you all know that I am still running despite knowing my running days should be behind me.

Enjoying it again at the moment. Hopefully it will continue for just a while longer.
Old 12-05-11, 06:12 AM   #4038
sarah

I ran yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks
I forgot my garmin though so I have no idea what my pace was like

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicklowSV View Post
Don't post in this thread much - but its a great read to motivate me off the couch and into my runners!! I've a half marathon coming up on Sunday and my primary goal is to get to the finish line! If I can get my time close to 2 hours I'll be delighted. Last year I did it in 2:15 or so but to be honest I was probably in better shape 12 months ago. I'll post up how things went after Sunday - hopefully it'll be good news!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Good luck for Sunday, I'm doing a half myself up in Yorkshire (Ravenscar half marathion).

As for often starting runs badly, I often find with my short fast runs it takes 2-3 km to get up to speed and into a nice rhythm, the other week I did the return leg so fast after a slow astart I almost beat my PB.
Best of luck guys. I look forward to reading your race reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
I'm still running. Each time I stop due to all the issues I have with knees, feet, trapped nerves etc... I still find myself going back into it. I run three times a week. Mostly 5-6 mile runs but once a week a like to stretch a little further. Also running with weighted gloves which makes a big difference to a normal run, especially if the distance is anything over a couple of miles.

I just can't stop. I know I should, but simply can't help myself. Especially when Foxy is out every bloody day (sometimes twice) doing runs.

Tim, I have found currently the earlier I go for a run, the longer it takes me to get into my stride. When I get up early for a run with Lisa, I find it really difficult to get in the groove. On the days I run on my own later in the morning, I find my pace is almost straight away there. Switch on the ipod, hit the road, and I'm in the zone straight away.

Anyways, just thought I would let you all know that I am still running despite knowing my running days should be behind me.

Enjoying it again at the moment. Hopefully it will continue for just a while longer.
You are a mentalist. I really do admire your determination!

Oh and I agree about taking a few kms to get going, I find that too.
Old 12-05-11, 06:17 AM   #4039
sarah

And I have a question. What is reasonable pace for swimming? Almost thinking about tri but want to know quite how rubbish I am. I swam a mile (well, 1600 metres) in 40 minutes (not accurately timed) yesterday which is my not being lazy but not really going for it pace.
Old 12-05-11, 09:13 AM   #4040
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Good work guys, I haven't run for weeks.

I cycled to work last week though.
Me too, I damaged my achilles and twisted my ankle at the end of Feb and haven'et been able to get out the same, gutted really