SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-01-13, 11:44 AM   #31
Owenski

Default Re: Abba stand are they worth the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
£80 delivered incl the SV adaptor (no swingarm kit). Agreed, adapters & extra's can be expensive.
If I saw a better alternative I'd consider it. But for ease of use and cost (what I paid) it was worth it.
Selected from your post that's what proves my thinking on the "worth the money" Its not that its good value, its not that its faultless engineering its just because there isn't a competitor to it. There used to be the NWS and although they were a better products for a similar price they didn't have the versatility of the Abba and died out.
Thats not to say the Abba is brilliant, its unnervingly unstable, extraordinarily over priced and next to useless without additional spending. In fact if you're not buying it with the swing arm kit its no more beneficial than a bog standard paddock stand which could be bought for half the price. I'd have one second hand, especially at the £40 that the OP obtained his for but purely because it has the option to be versatile even if out of the box its nothing more than a paddock stand.

Sorry this is starting to feel like a proper abba rate lol, basically to me if it were possible for someone to construct a unit which came able to lift both the front and back (so fully suspend a bike) for under £100 including shipping it'd be worth a look for sure.

Out of interest where do you find the £80 stand? All I see is:
http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=1
thats £99.95 for the Abba with SV adaptor, plus £14.95 if you want the swing arm tool.
Old 16-01-13, 12:53 PM   #32
Doinitmyway

I will be picking a new one up this weekend. I need to change the spring in an R6 shock I have fitted to my FZR400RR. Without an Abba I cant see how i could raise the back of the bike and get the job done 'on my own'.

For what it would cost if i was to go 'f___ it' and let someone else do the job, it would cost near the same. As with most things like this it will pay for itself over time with the more jobs I can do with it.

Having the Abba will also mean I can get rid of the front headstock stand I have (which doesn't tuck away in as half a small place as the abba in my smallish shed).

Luckily Abba are relatively just down the road too

Chris
92 RG80 (x2!)
89 AR125 - 89 RG125
75 CB200
Doinitmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-13, 01:24 PM   #33
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doinitmyway View Post
Without an Abba I cant see how i could raise the back of the bike and get the job done 'on my own'
You've bought an ABBA already which is great, and it WILL make the job easier for you. Just in case you ever find you need to lift a second bike or something (this is intended to be a helpful post).

Put a pair of axle stands under the rear pillion footpeg hangers.

Push the bike over to the left onto front wheel and sidestand, put the axle stand in under the right footpeg hanger. Walk round the bike and jack up the other side until your other footpeg hanger is high enough to get the axle stand under that.

If you need to go higher still, jack under one side, remove the pin from the axle stand, jack up one hole, replace pin, remove jack, repeat on other side.

I don't have a picture of that, but I'm sure someone can point to one already on the forum

If you need to work on the front you can do the same at the front by putting a piece of metal bar through the hole in the front of the engine casings. I do have a picture of that

And my XT I remove the rear end this way

Old 16-01-13, 01:29 PM   #34
-Ralph-

There is a difference between something being 'worth it' and something being 'value for money'.

When your dog's about to die even a £1000 vets bill for a 30 minute operation and a course of medication can be worth it.

Look at what an Abba stand actually is and compare manufacturing costs and sell price, it's not value for money. They could sell them at half the price and still make a very tidy profit thank you very much. They charge what they charge because they can get away with it. That's because like the majority of responses in this thread, their customers consider that it's 'worth it'
Old 16-01-13, 01:40 PM   #35
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Mine's paid for itself loads of times over but I do use it on customers bikes.

I'm not sure about abbas manufacturing costs, I'd suggest it would come down to the costs of the turned pieces and whether they have their own machines or farm them out.
Old 16-01-13, 02:59 PM   #36
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Mine's paid for itself loads of times over but I do use it on customers bikes.

I'm not sure about abbas manufacturing costs, I'd suggest it would come down to the costs of the turned pieces and whether they have their own machines or farm them out.
Other than the adaptors (I think that's the only turned pieces, and at the end of the day they are only a glorified socket to go over the swingarm bolt, or a glorified allen key to go in it), there's not much there other than square section steel, hollow section bar, a couple of handles, a couple of screw threads.

Nothing you don't get on a cheapo ebay paddock stand for £30 quid.

I'm going to get some offcuts off ebay and make one, just to see how much it costs. If I get enough materials for two and you do the welding you can have one of them!

Last edited by -Ralph-; 16-01-13 at 03:01 PM.
Old 16-01-13, 03:00 PM   #37
craig dow

i have the best set up for working on my bike in my shed , i have a 4x4 fence post across roof , and got a rachet strap of my mate thats a lorry driver , cost me nothing , have both wheels of ground , for weeks , no problems at all , and cost less then £20 for the post ,

Last edited by craig dow; 16-01-13 at 03:09 PM.
Old 16-01-13, 03:09 PM   #38
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig dow View Post
i have the best set up for working on my bike in my shead , i have a 4x4 fence post across roof , and got a rachet strap of my mate thats a lorry driver , cost me nothing , have both wheels of ground , for weeks , no problems at all , and cost less then £20 for the post ,
Bit difficult to get purchase on a sprocket nut with the bike swinging from the ceiling mind you!
Old 16-01-13, 03:22 PM   #39
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Other than the adaptors (I think that's the only turned pieces, and at the end of the day they are only a glorified socket to go over the swingarm bolt, or a glorified allen key to go in it), there's not much there other than square section steel, hollow section bar, a couple of handles, a couple of screw threads.

Nothing you don't get on a cheapo ebay paddock stand for £30 quid.

I'm going to get some offcuts off ebay and make one, just to see how much it costs. If I get enough materials for two and you do the welding you can have one of them!
And only about £40 of actual materials in an iPhone. Any chance you could knock me up one of those when you're done too.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-13, 04:36 PM   #40
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
or perhaps -Ralph- can knock one up for you after he's built his abba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
And only about £40 of actual materials in an iPhone. Any chance you could knock me up one of those when you're done too.
Are you just on a mission to annoy me now since I don't agree a forum threads a good way to get riding advice?

Last edited by -Ralph-; 16-01-13 at 04:38 PM.