SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-11-13, 05:27 PM   #1
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Christmas mini break to Bruges in December.. anyone been? any recommendations?

Looking at going for a long weekend in Bruges in early December... I went with my parents when I was about 13 and thought it was a decent place, thinking christmas time will be pretty... well.... christmassy and romantic etc.

Looking at taking the overnight boat from Hull to Zeebrugge and some how transferring to Bruges as I've heard that driving in Bruges itself is meant to be pretty hellish - or is this a bit of a fallacy? What's it like for parking and getting around? Would we be better going public transport?

Also, where abouts is considered to be 'the centre'. Like if I was going for a long weekend in London I'd probably want somewhere around Covent garden area is it's not far from most of the touristy stuff. And by touristy stuff I mean castles, churches, canals, rivers, city squares and restaurants.. Is there a particular area to aim for?

And aside from that are there any recommendations for hotels/B&B's, restaurants, places to visit, special markets to look out for etc.

any and all info gratefully received

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 05:46 PM   #2
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Re: Christmas mini break to Bruges in December.. anyone been? any recommendations?

p.s. thanks for the heads up to the 3 people on facebook who said that In Bruges is a good film. Will give it a watch..

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 05:49 PM   #3
Brettus

Default Re: Christmas mini break to Bruges in December.. anyone been? any recommendations?

Not been to Brugge but I've been to Ghent with work and it was GORGEOUS!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brettne...th/8392575035/

Brugge is supposed to be particularly touristy yet Ghent is a little more rustic, original. Worth a day trip (it's only around 30-40 minutes away IIRC) if nothing else.

Driving over there seems to be OK, just watch out for cyclists and pedestrians who all seem to have more rights than drivers.

I'd check out when the christmas markets are on too if you are looking to head over there, may as well time it right.

Public transport is supposed to be pretty awesome over there but I've never tried it as we have always travelled with 2-3 colleagues so a car seemed the better option. Parking is interesting, the car park for the hotel was underneath it with a indiana jones style door coming down with little regard for cars and it was narrow once you were down there. (we tried two hotels and they were similarly designed)

Been 4-5 times with work and never had a bad experience, everyone is always very nice and the level of english is usually pretty high (even in a more traditional place like Ghent)

Whatever you do I hope you have fun, I've always enjoyed it over there (large size spirit measures might have something to do with it!)
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 06:41 PM   #4
Devil Biccy

We are going for the first time to Bruges, managed to get EuroTunnel return for £93.00 and hotel near the markets. never been but an hours drive from Calais can't be that bad.
Old 06-11-13, 09:01 PM   #5
Doinitmyway

Bruges is a really nice place. Near enough to ride to and back in a day at a push, better for an overnight stay. If going on the bike there is motorcycle parking right near the centre of town next to the Frietmuseum (yes a museum about chips!) - put Vlamingstraat 33 in your satnav, should get you near!

Make sure you have a Belgian waffle smothered in choc while you are there

Chris
92 RG80 (x2!)
89 AR125 - 89 RG125
75 CB200

Last edited by Doinitmyway; 06-11-13 at 09:04 PM.
Doinitmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 09:34 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yep Bruges xmas market is very good, but parkin in the centre of town is impossible
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 09:38 PM   #7
Redmist

If you see a bloke in renaissance costume down one of the shopping alleys, avoid at all costs!
He accosted me and a work mate as we killed time waiting for a ferry back from a work trip.
He showed us into his "shop" and then proceeded to try and photo my buddy with (And I am NOT exaggerating!)
a camera plugged into his BBC basic computer and printed off his face (We think that's what it was!) as a calendar on the old Dot matrix stylee printer from the late 80s and said there you go thats 20 euros please.
He proceeded to drop the price until at about 2 euros we'd walked out minus the print out. For some reason we kinda both went along with it thinking there'll be an amazing surprise to all this! Obviously not.

Weird is not nearly strong enough a word!

Otherwise we parked just fine about 5mins walk from the centre. Probably best to get a shuttle bus there like you say to avoid the worry.

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 11:00 PM   #8
SIII
Mega Poster

Can't believe you have heard how bad they drive - absolute nutters !!! Wasn't all of Belgium, just when you get close to and around Bruge, been a couple of years but don't recall struggling to park, went into one of their underground places, dotted all over IIRC.

Gotta go to the Tintin shop, worth a mooch around.
Old 07-11-13, 08:41 AM   #9
Popy Fresco

I haven't been in xmas, but in summer parking wasn't a problem 10-15 mins walk from centre.

I'd recomend visit Brugse Zot brewerey
Popy Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 11:35 AM   #10
punyXpress
Mega Poster

P & O are doing trips to Bruges - overnight ferry, day in Bruges, then return next night. Two for the price of one @ £75 the pair.
Place is small enough, about the size of York, to cover most of it in a day - just as a ranging shot.
Further research can be later & more leisurely.
+1 for the Bruggse Zot
ps: I'd volunteer to go with you & not waste the 'free' ticket, but your use of the word 'romantic' put me right off!