SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-03-06, 04:49 PM   #1
bigE

Default Anyone know an easier way to fill the rear brake fluid?

Anyone know an easier way to fill the rear brake fluid on a naked curvey? The only way i see how to do it is to remove the rear fairing....
Old 04-03-06, 04:51 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

I suppose in theory you could push it through the bleed nipples...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 04:54 PM   #3
Phoenix

I did it today with all the rear still on it is a pain but you can get a long thin screwdriver in there still to get the screws out and then fold a peirce of card in half to make a V shape pour onto card runs into pot.lol cowboy job you may think but heh saved stripping the rear end off again (only just put it back on)
Old 04-03-06, 04:56 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I think he means filling the reservoir under the rear seat.It is in a bloody awkward place,and I think I used a syringe to top it up so as not to spill brake fluid on the rear bodywork.I also had trouble unscrewing the top and used a screw bit on a ratchet.
Old 04-03-06, 05:00 PM   #5
madmal

big e, dont strip it mate, take cap off resevoir (its mounted on plastic and will bend slightly towards you), just make sure you put a cloth around it as you dont want any fluid dripping on paintwork. if you need to top it up get a small cheap funnel from any car shop/gardening centre and slowly top up.
Old 04-03-06, 05:05 PM   #6
bigE

I tried the screw driver bit on a ratchet trick and that wouldnt even fit. I guess im just gonna have to pull the fairing off....
Old 04-03-06, 05:41 PM   #7
haggis

You shouldn't need to take it off completely. Just take off the grab rail bolt on that side, the self tapper screw in the middle and the bolt under the riders seat too. It should then flex enough to get the screwdriver in there.

A good tip for filling up is to just poke a small hole in the brake fluid bottle's seal and you can hold your finger over the hole until it's in place to gently squirt in the reservoir. Wear a latex glove though. Brake fliud is nasty stuff on your skin too, not just your P&J.

Of course, you could do the same as me if you decide to strip that side off. Move the whole caboodle down beside the battery like the pointy's have. Make's checking/topping up a doddle. Lost some weight with less of that fat tubing. And mass centralisation, Honda eat yer heart out!

Will get you a piccy of my handywork if you like.
Old 04-03-06, 06:26 PM   #8
bigE

Thanks for the tip. I will probobly just do the partial removal of the fairing like you said though
Old 04-03-06, 07:29 PM   #9
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

We've got rid of the fluid reservoir completely. We've fitted an HRC fluid reservoir pipe. It runs up behind your heel plate and just tucks behind the infill panel. It is easy to keep an eye on your fluid level, and easy to refill without risk of damage to your paintwork.

You can see it on the pic below.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 08:40 PM   #10
jonboy

Very trick .