SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-02-12, 02:46 PM   #1
metalangel

Default Complete career change, anyone done it?

TL;DR AT THE BOTTOM

I've been in a bit of a funk the last few weeks, it building to a head since about Thursday or Friday.

I just don't see the point any more. I've achieved everything society tells you to do with your life: a house, a job, a car, a significant other. It feels like now I've done all that, there's nothing left but to just grind away at my job for another three decades so I can retire and wait to die.

I don't want that to be it, to be waiting for two weeks in the sun every year as my escape from drudgery.

I'm seriously considering a completely career change, a fresh start. I'm 'only' 32, it's not too late for me.

I'm thinking specifically of learning sign language so I can become a support worker/teaching assistant for special needs, as I have enough experience and knowledge to work as a computer or English teacher.

This is also an opportunity for Mrs Metal to escape from having to work in offices for the rest of her life, as she is willing to learn ASL too (she has a very very basic knowledge of BSL) and could go and work in a similar role or at Dogs For The Deaf. We talked about it last night and agreed to start looking into doing it. It also means we'll finally start making good on our long dormant intent to move back to Canada.

It's scary, I don't know where to start, what qualifications I need, anything like that. But just planning it has given me a real kick in the butt, and I am excited at the thought of having something to work towards besides just coming home to open a beer and play Xbox/Eve/whatever.

tl;dr: Has anyone else decided they'd just had enough, and decided to start fresh on a completely new career?
Old 13-02-12, 03:05 PM   #2
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Re: Complete career change, anyone done it?

Thought about going back to Canada? Seems there's nothing good here and the handful of people I know on opposite sides of the world (canada, australia, south africa etc.) are infinitely happier since they left the UK.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-12, 03:06 PM   #3
Berlin

Yes, its possible, I'm presently on complete change number 4

I packed in being an engineer to become a fly fishing instructor, then started an insect repellent company then packed that in to start a construction company and then moved to Canada.

I have no idea what I'm going to do next but something will stick its head above the parapet! I have plenty of ideas from opening a fishing camp to a restaurant to a different kind of engineering.

I would advise however, not to start a company in your primary passion in life. It will completely kill that passion eventually.

Oh, and I should probably point out that I lost absolutely everything I owned when one company went under. I currently haven't got a pot to **** in but that'll change

The best of luck with it!

C

Last edited by Berlin; 13-02-12 at 03:09 PM.
Old 13-02-12, 03:17 PM   #4
Fallout
Mega Poster

Do it dude. Find that new calling. That's an all too familiar feeling for me too and I think people who question the point owe it to themselves to find meaning.

I'm still trying to find my direction to find some meaning. I feel like I've got all the potential in the world, plus an awesome Mrs who I could have an awesome life with, if only I could get somewhere that let's me be all I can be. I've tried a few things and I'm currently applying for a new job in the same industry, but this time it will hopefully be more of what I enjoy. Still, I can't help thinking there is a perfect job out there for me, that'd give me a proper sense of fulfilment, but I can't figure out what it is.

I'm really envious of people who have 1 passion and follow it from a young age, make it, and then feel complete. I like a bit of everything, need variety and new challenges, and I'm a completely jack of all trades as a result. Can't find my calling. Don't know if I have one. Have no idea what to strive for.

Whenever I hear about someone trying to find something more, I gotta get behind them and say go for it.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)

Last edited by Fallout; 13-02-12 at 03:19 PM.
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-12, 03:18 PM   #5
Fallout
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
I would advise however, not to start a company in your primary passion in life. It will completely kill that passion eventually.
+1 for this. I ran my own business for 2 years in my passion and it killed it for me.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-12, 03:19 PM   #6
metalangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
Thought about going back to Canada?
That is the plan. Getting Mrs Metal over with me will take some doing (or a small gold ring) but this is a way of doing it and having some sort of skill to bring along with us to find work.
Old 13-02-12, 04:01 PM   #7
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Yup I did it...although I was young.

From the age of 16 to 21 I had worked my way from Checkout chick to management. The only reason was the money. Was earning £18k when I was 18. Which at the time was lots for me.
Ended up becoming an alcoholic as I hated my job so much. In the end I decided to jack it all in and buy myself a couple of years to get into what I wanted to do which was work in the music industry.
That actually only took me about 6 months to find a paying job and been here ever since. Although those 6 months I went from earning £18k a year to absolutely nothing, discovered however that I could go out with £10 and still get ****ed....can't for the life of me figure out how I did that!!

Anyway, it's possible and regardless of what happens you will make it work.
Either way just make sure you don't regret anything.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-12, 05:01 PM   #8
Specialone

Yep, well almost, i started off in the buidling game, then progressed on to maintenance / extrusion / engineering roles.
After dioing that for about 15 years i got made redundant so decided to go self employed doing building again.
I enjoy being self employed but hate the hassle, worry of no work, tax etc etc.

I am going to change again tbh as my knees and back get a lot of abuse and if i carry on i'll be fecked by the time im 50.
The golden years for me are gone i think, i could make a lot of money if the work was there, but its too inconsistent now.

Id like to do something bike related and even pursued avenues but the amount of motorcycle businesses that have closed has put me right off.

So if i was you, do it, life aint a dress rehearsal.
Old 13-02-12, 05:24 PM   #9
SIII
Mega Poster

Go for it! If you can teach and can cope with the crap and the stress - its the best job going. I did my degree in engineering, went into it and was made redundant 5 times in 5 years! After the last time, when i thought i was in and secure (but bored out of my mind) I thought sod this for a game of soldiers Im off to do summit different!
Made redundant on the friday, went into uni on the monday, chapped some doors and got myself on a PGCE course and had to go home and tell the missus I was off to be a student for the next 2 years and I started the following Monday. It was a bloody hard 2 years, mainly because of not being paid. But it has paid off, 15 years full employment and payed more than i was in engineering.
That was 15 years ago and it allowed me to move from being jammed in the middle of England (near all the industry) and move back to Scotland and live in the middle of bloody nowhere. Teaching in a little high school and work life is so easy - cos I enjoy it!
If you can cope with the financial hardship in the short tem - go for it. 30 years is a bloody long time stuck in an office. I couldn't image being a desk jockey again. Went to red Bull F1 a few months ago and saw all of the engineers stuck behind a big screen with headphones on - looking bored out of their tiny minds. Was a dream job once upon a time - but looked like a nightmare now.
Old 13-02-12, 05:27 PM   #10
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
I am going to change again tbh as my knees and back get a lot of abuse and if i carry on i'll be fecked by the time im 50.
Your never under 50!!! Get out now, find something less stressful