SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-10-06, 11:36 PM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Pointys faster than Curvys??

<-- My trackbike is a curvy SV. This one bike in particular (blue one I try and overtake in the vid below) was a missile in a straight line when we were at Lydden earlier this year…

Basically I was following this pointy and decided to ‘bug out’ down the straight, thought I hooked up about the same sort of time, you can hear my engine on full song … pulled over to do the overtake, started to get the run, but then I got totally wasted!!

Didn't matter, but how can it be?? I thought they were essentially the same motor, one just carbs, the other FI??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFHEikGHBxM

My bike has a few mods too*!!! So are Pointys quicker than even modified curvys?

*K&N, Race can, tank raisers, TRE, 14t front sprocket, R6 throttle tube.
Old 29-10-06, 11:47 PM   #2
jkchops

U tube is saying that the video is unavailable at the moment. I will try again shortly.
Old 30-10-06, 12:45 AM   #3
gettin2dizzy

bike or ride magazine dynoed both of them at once. they found the pointy to have about 6 extra hp. maybe they had different sprockets on?!
Old 30-10-06, 08:01 AM   #4
sdusk

Maximum power? Not much in it if anything. However, with a power commander I can fill in all of the gaps in the midrange by adjusting the fuelling *very* accurately. You just can't do that with a carburettor. Where there used to be a dip between 7-9k, a bit of leaning out has filled in 4 extra horses. While you are waiting to get 'on the cam', your competitor is getting away.
Old 30-10-06, 09:16 AM   #5
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointys faster than Curvys??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Didn't matter,
Of course it matters... You got wasted
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-06, 11:42 AM   #6
Blue_SV650S

gettin2dizzy – That would certainly tie up with what I experienced, my bike was notably out HP’d.

sdusk – I was revving the nuts off mine, so it was only the top end, not midrange … also with the mods (sprocket and K&N) I’d expect mine to be faster than a bog stock bike on acceleration/when revving hard, bit it was plain slower?!?!

Stu – Ok, its never nice to get wasted , but I was thinking of dipping my toe into a bit of minitwins before that, but if I am struggling on power against a bog stock pointy, what chance to I have against the race ones which will be moded to the full extent of the regulations!?!? The whole point of trying a bit of minitwins for me was that it would be as level a playing field as you can get … sort of the cheapest form of superstock.

Bearing in mind everyone will be f-quick, power WILL make a difference and I don’t want to penalise myself by having a low powered bike!!! I also don’t want to spend a fortune getting my bike up to power … at that point I’d be better off buying a 2nd had pointy outfit!!!
Old 30-10-06, 11:56 AM   #7
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy
bike or ride magazine dynoed both of them at once. they found the pointy to have about 6 extra hp. maybe they had different sprockets on?!
Now we just need to settle the colour dispute (sorry, didn't help did I? )
Old 30-10-06, 12:04 PM   #8
rich_r

Rider weight??
Old 30-10-06, 12:15 PM   #9
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I have not found a stock pointy to be much faster than mine if any except for the top end, but sure a pointy with mods would be.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-06, 12:48 PM   #10
egypt220

maybe differant gearing and smoother in and out of the corners