SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-12-05, 01:47 PM   #1
greeno76

Default Bambi on Ice

I got caught out in a blizzard yesterday evening heading back to my folks in North Beds.

About 3 miles from home - going about about 10 miles an hour in 2nd on tickover - it got ridiculous and couldn't get any traction whatsoever on small inclines. Motocross training helped!
Inevitably I got spat off
No harm done except for a bent left footpeg - nothing our man RBS can't fix!
Picking up a gixer that's sliding away from you is pretty tricky, I can tell ya!

Faced with a steep hill and worsening conditions I secured the bike at a farm with the farmer's permission and a kind cager gave me a lift home - I guess they're not all evil!

Picked up this morning with help from my old man.

Sorry, Jelster! At least I can't be accused of being a fair-weather biker...

JG
Old 28-12-05, 02:01 PM   #2
Ping

Default Re: Bambi on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno76
I got caught out in a blizzard yesterday evening heading back to my folks in North Beds.

About 3 miles from home - going about about 10 miles an hour in 2nd on tickover - it got ridiculous and couldn't get any traction whatsoever on small inclines. Motocross training helped!
Inevitably I got spat off
No harm done except for a bent left footpeg - nothing our man RBS can't fix!
Picking up a gixer that's sliding away from you is pretty tricky, I can tell ya!

Faced with a steep hill and worsening conditions I secured the bike at a farm with the farmer's permission and a kind cager gave me a lift home - I guess they're not all evil!

Picked up this morning with help from my old man.

Sorry, Jelster! At least I can't be accused of being a fair-weather biker...

JG
No, just a lunatic... Glad you and the bike are ok.
Old 29-12-05, 02:40 PM   #3
tomjones2

i begining to think that road motorcycle and snow just dont belong togther

i took my omega out for a spin (literaly) around some empty roundabouts and carparks and it reminded me just how little grip there is, f**king good fun though
First time i have driven with abs in the snow and i have to say that i didnt like it, the car weighs nearly 2 to tons and with a autobox pushing as well the abs seems to leave the brakes off longer than they were on. Its the only time when i have found that i could stop quicker by braking properly than sticking my foot on the pedal and letting the abs sort the braking out.
Old 03-01-06, 03:33 PM   #4
Ceri JC

Yep, it's a bit tricky when it gets icy and sometimes no amount of "taking it easy" will allow you to continue riding when conditions deteriorate. A colleague who has 20 years of year-round experience has been in situations where he has just had to chain the bike to something solid, thumb a lift and come back when it thaws out.

I've ridden in snow 4/5 times now, without an accident, touch wood, but anything other than a very light frost makes things extremely hairy and it doesn't take that much to make steep hills completely inaccessible (short of fitting ice speedway tyres ).