SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-07-14, 01:45 PM   #1
Aligowers

Default ABM top yoke conversion? Curvy.

Hey folks just back from trip. Covered over 1k miles in 3 days on my 2002 sv650s. And it ran great but my hands are sore after about 20miles. Ive tried using cramp busters but no use. So looking to change my handle bar options.
I have the standard yoke and original cables.
Im looking at buying this kit http://www.bikermart.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=153-033

Has anyone fitted it cant really find info on them. Not sure if I will have to replace all my cables to fit the new bars.

Any advice or info would be great as its not the cheapest mod.

Cheers.
Old 21-07-14, 01:59 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy yoke conversion.

do you ride with your arms straight or elbows bent?

do you keep a loose or tight grip on the bars?

topyokes do comfort kits as well.

cramp busters are carp....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-14, 04:59 PM   #3
Aligowers

Default Re: ABM top yoke conversion? Curvy.

I ride with my elbows straight most of the time but can ride either way. Tight grip on the bars my throttles pretty heavy.
Old 21-07-14, 05:14 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

your not relaxing, you must bend your elbows to take the strain/shock from your wrists and keep a loose grip on the bars, the tighter you grip the more strain on the fingers. put the straight arms and the tight grip together and all your doing is transferring all the shock into your limbs.

bend the elbows so your forearms are as parallel to the horizontal as you can get, relax your hand grip and grip the tank with your knees. you will find that your lower back will get a bit sore and it will take a while till your muscles retain the memory but once done it will be a lot more comfortable.

Last edited by Bibio; 21-07-14 at 05:15 PM.
Old 21-07-14, 07:15 PM   #5
drewthejew94

i have the abm kit on my pointy and its made such a difference in my opinion
Old 21-07-14, 09:27 PM   #6
Aligowers

Im riding from Glasgow to Berlin in a few weeks on the curvy. Want to just make it more comfortable when fully loaded up. Were camping so i have to carry a fair bit of gear. Im not looking forward to bleeding the brakes If i have to fit new lines the bleed nipples dont look in great shape
Old 21-07-14, 09:33 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

top tip from the bibster. crack the nipples open with a socket first. TBH just bleeding the brakes is not going to help braking efficiency.

the comfort kits are the best thing to do to an SV but i have seen some right states with people cutting corners. you'll be lucky to get a kit and fit it in that time.
Old 21-07-14, 09:40 PM   #8
Aligowers

My neighbor had the kit fitted to his bike but he sold it a few months ago. Had a shot on it and I thought it was great. He bought the bike with it fitted so ill need to figure it out. I DO NOT want a bodge job travelling that kind distance lol
Were leaving mid September so ill need to get in gear and get something sorted. Dont want to leave it till the last minute. Cheers for the tip I snapped a bleed nipple of with a socket a few years ago. Ill start soaking it plus gas from now till the kit arrives
Old 21-07-14, 09:46 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

TBH once you get used to the sport position it's not to bad, you just have to remember to relax. if your throttle is a bit stiff it might be time for new cables.

if i were going on a large trip i would do a good service and keep as is till i got back.
Old 21-07-14, 09:50 PM   #10
Aligowers

Ive got everything ready for a full service. New chain and sprocket, brake pads, oil, coolant, filters, plugs. Ive done a fair bit of long distant stuff. Need some new tyres no idea what to get i was advised to get avon storm 2 ultra tyres the local fitting shop swears by them. Need to have a look around.