SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-10-06, 10:00 PM   #1
dotted

Default knee pain

Anyone else suffer from knee pain after a hard ride ?

Don't know what could be the cause of it ... i was thinking it could be cold , so today went for a ride with some old socks around the knees but my knees still hurt .

Any tips to avoid this ? and how normal is it ?

Never had knee's pain before !
Old 08-10-06, 10:11 PM   #2
kwak zzr

are you relaxed when riding or tense?
Old 08-10-06, 10:13 PM   #3
hovis

my left knee was bad yesterday did a lot of riding
Old 08-10-06, 10:18 PM   #4
kwak zzr

i find my fore arms and legs ache when i ride tense normaly when riding like an idiot.
Old 08-10-06, 10:22 PM   #5
K

Age, the onset of arthritis, prior injuries, poor blood flow, lax tendons or dodgy cartilage...

... take your pick or admit to being a wimp!

On a more serious note, your knees, wrists/thumbs and neck are usually the first to go on bikers.
Being forced to remain locked into unerganomic positions and subject to either severe buffeting or constant vibrations - is it any wonder they call it a day first.

Unless you have a prior history or trauma to the joint, it's most likely down to poor circulation, caused by the cold, static position and to some extent, vibrations.
Putting something like a sock round your knee will help to keep it warmer, but will cause uneven pressure - not helpful if your circulation's poor to start with.

Try with a piece of tubigrip - or alternatively use some ibuprofin gel on your knees prior to a long ride. When I did horseriding & eventing we used to nickname the stuff 12 year old's knees!
Maybe even a bit of Deep Heat may do the trick.

I'm no medical professional by the way - but with dodgy knees I could be considered perhaps an enthusiastic amateur.

Give us a call back when bits have dropped off, been bolted back on, fallen off again, lost, found, discarded and replaced with an assortment of spare parts from Dr Frankenstien's garage sale.
Then you too could join the dubiously illustrious ranks fo the Wonky Knee Gang...

... get you applications in quick - with Mr Toad finally on the road to victory we should have a spot opening up soon.
Old 08-10-06, 11:16 PM   #6
dotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
Age, the onset of arthritis, prior injuries, poor blood flow, lax tendons or dodgy cartilage...

... take your pick or admit to being a wimp!
have you any idea how scary that sounds ?
im only 29...

Quote:
Unless you have a prior history or trauma to the joint, it's most likely down to poor circulation, caused by the cold, static position and to some extent, vibrations.
Putting something like a sock round your knee will help to keep it warmer, but will cause uneven pressure - not helpful if your circulation's poor to start with. Confused

Try with a piece of tubigrip - or alternatively use some ibuprofin gel on your knees prior to a long ride. When I did horseriding & eventing we used to nickname the stuff 12 year old's knees! Wink
Maybe even a bit of Deep Heat may do the trick.
Must be it ... i got off the bike 5 hours ago and my knees still hurt and fell cold , guess its a circulation problem
Going to buy a pair of tubigrip , the knees dont hurt to much , and tomorrow they are better , so im gonna skip the drugs

You do sound like a expert , thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa zzr
find my fore arms and legs ache when i ride tense normaly when riding like an idiot.
That's how i like to ride
Old 09-10-06, 06:52 AM   #7
TT Dee

What K said. I use to suffer with cronic hip, knee, shoulder and wrist pain until I started taking Glucosamine Sulphate

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...lucosamine.htm.

Anything less than 1000mg a day is a waste of time. Further, you need a loading faze of about 2-3 months before you start to feel any real benefit. I can ride all day now with nary a twinge.
Old 09-10-06, 07:32 AM   #8
Amanda M

I ended up selling my SV mainly because I suffered from horrendous pain in my left knee when I rode it. The pain set in after about 10miles and got worse and worse and after a long rideout I'd know about it for days afterwards. I just put it down to not getting on with the riding position. I don't get any trouble on any other bike.

Amanda
Old 09-10-06, 07:40 AM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda M
I ended up selling my SV mainly because I couldnt handle the sublime handling and outregeous power I rode it. I don't get any trouble on any other bike.

Amanda
Well there you go

I get pain in my knees all the time. Its me height mainly and the bikes small dimensions. Nothing i can do, i just limit my riring to about 200miles a day if i do distance!

Try changing your riding position, or get some rear sets.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 07:40 AM   #10
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda M
I ended up selling my SV mainly because I suffered from horrendous pain in my left knee when I rode it. The pain set in after about 10miles and got worse and worse and after a long rideout I'd know about it for days afterwards. I just put it down to not getting on with the riding position. I don't get any trouble on any other bike.

Amanda
its only my left knee too(&left wrist) right side is fine???
mind, i have have loads of moto-x & trials offs in the past