SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-19, 02:10 PM   #1
600rob

Default Naked pointy last year of manufacture

Hey guys im looking for a budget-ish pointy shape naked 650 to as a commuter to replace my hornet.
Has to be 2007 or later to be ulez compliant.
Does anyone know when they stopped making this model?
I can only seen to find 05-07 models online but would like something a bit newer if available.
Cheers
600rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 02:23 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Naked pointy last year of manufacture

Hi and welcome. I'm pretty sure the naked SV was dropped when the Gladius was introduced in 2009. The problem is that Suzuki sold loads more of the S faired model so the later nakeds are quite rare and hard to find.

Depending on your budget, there are quite a few of the new-style Gen 3 bikes coming onto the used market now, they start from about £3K depending on mileage, etc so they're not THAT much more expensive than a decent pointy. The advantage is that they're all Euro 4 so will be ULEZ compliant and all come with ABS.

Service intervals are longer too (7500 mile oil changes).

Last edited by Craig380; 01-05-19 at 02:24 PM.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 05:19 PM   #3
600rob

Thanks Craig.

Anyone know what the oil change service interval mileage on the older (05-07) models is like?
600rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 05:32 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

On the pointies, Suzuki's schedule is 3,750 miles (6,000km) for oil changes, with a filter change every third oil change. So it's not bad either.

Coolant is every 5 years if you use pink long-life stuff. Valve clearances almost never need doing, SVs are legendary for low valve train wear. Once the throttle body sync is done and the throttle position sensor (TPS) set properly, they hardly ever need touching either.

The engines are pretty much bomb-proof, providing you keep the oil topped up. Most don't use much oil at all, but if you hammer the bike on long trips at high speeds and wide throttle openings, it's not uncommon for them to use a bit, so it's wise to keep an eye on the level. The valve stem seals can harden on low mileage bikes, which means they can use a bit between changes without any visible smoke.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 07:56 PM   #5
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
On the pointies, Suzuki's schedule is 3,750 miles (6,000km) for oil changes, with a filter change every third oil change. So it's not bad either.

Coolant is every 5 years if you use pink long-life stuff. Valve clearances almost never need doing, SVs are legendary for low valve train wear. Once the throttle body sync is done and the throttle position sensor (TPS) set properly, they hardly ever need touching either.

The engines are pretty much bomb-proof, providing you keep the oil topped up. Most don't use much oil at all, but if you hammer the bike on long trips at high speeds and wide throttle openings, it's not uncommon for them to use a bit, so it's wise to keep an eye on the level. The valve stem seals can harden on low mileage bikes, which means they can use a bit between changes without any visible smoke.

Good article - very helpful - thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19-05-19, 06:35 PM   #6
Toooldtodie

FYI.
Sent off a copy of my V5 to TfL and got an exemption (in less than a week) for my K5 SV650S for ULEZ. So your net can widen a bit even if your wallet cannot!