SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-05-19, 04:28 PM   #11
Talking Heads

Default Re: another gloomy milestone reached

Humans only existed to create the next lifeform: artificial intelligence.
Machines are the future, one day they will no longer need us.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 06:39 PM   #12
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Aviation and cruise liner fuel should be taxed - it is madness that so many people think nothing about the comparatively low cost of travelling the world. It is not a right and you should pay for the damage it is doing to the environment. Shipping is needed but this fuel should also be taxed, perhaps at a lower rate, to encourage domestic production instead of cheap exports sent all over the world in containers. But, I seriously doubt any politician will have the guts to implement it.

We could always go down the Logan's Run route, but if we did I'd already be on the list for the carousel...
Old 14-05-19, 05:18 AM   #13
Othen

I can’t help a wry smile at the irony of this: a bunch of people brought together by their use of Suzuki SV motorcycles - I would venture almost exclusively for leisure (apologies to any commuters) advocating taxing fuel.

One has to admit, that is just a little but amusing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14-05-19, 06:30 AM   #14
Talking Heads

Apology accepted
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 06:48 AM   #15
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Apology accepted

I’m guessing you are a bike commuter - in which case that is commendable

Don’t get me wrong though - I’m as guilty as anyone here - I run 2 cars and 4 bikes (although only one at a time).

Old 14-05-19, 07:33 AM   #16
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I can’t help a wry smile at the irony of this: a bunch of people brought together by their use of Suzuki SV motorcycles - I would venture almost exclusively for leisure (apologies to any commuters) advocating taxing fuel.

One has to admit, that is just a little but amusing

I cycle my 20 mile commute (often drifting past miles and miles of single occupancy cars idling in gridlock)... and think of that as kind of carbon offsetting my occaisional SV leisure blast If I (rarely) commute on the SV it's very efficient too, filtering through the stationary traffic and currently getting 67mpg average according to Fuelly. Compared to my van that gets 35mpg at best and would be stuck in that gridlock it's a step in the right direction that most people aren't taking. That van (that spends more time with a flat battery from lack of use instead of being used) is an X reg too, so you could argue that even when used, it's less of an impact on the world than a newly made modern "green" van that's used loads of resources to make and transport just to get to the point of sale.

Leisure blasts are usually a longer scenic route for somewhere that I need to get to. Yesterday was a trip I needed to do, Bristol to Malvern, but via some more interesting roads in Wales instead of the straight A38 or M5.

It's a tricky one to impose on people. We have to live. That's kind of the point I was making above too. To not be causing the problems that we are, we'd all need to sit still, eat minimum calories possible to stay alive with zero food waste and never buy anything beyond the minimum needed to stay alive. Even then I bet we'd still be having a detimental effect. There's just too many of us on the planet and that's increasing.

As already mentioned, no one is ever going to state that though and no one in power would ever make the career ending move to even suggest that is the case. Far better to tell us to do little things and let us believe it will all be better if we recyle the occaisional plastic bottle.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 14-05-19 at 07:37 AM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 08:38 AM   #17
Othen

I didn’t mean to cause offence to anyone - I just thought it funny that this group of petrol-headed bikers was advocating putting tax on (someone else’s) fuel.

You are right though, the green stuff is absolute nonsense, but it makes people feel better about themselves as they drive home in their Tesla before taking a dip in the hot tub in the back garden.

It is nothing much to do with the raving greens issues, but just common sense, that we should minimise on use of energy and materials. We throw away too much perfectly good stuff (like my 43 year old Bloop or my 135,000 mile K6, others may have given up on both) and replace it with new because it is not this year’s colour...

The real problem is of course over-population, and the fact that the next, larger generation will not only want feeding but also a new BMW X5 to take the kids to school in their African village. It is not just politicians that won’t say that needs addressing, but also the man in the street that doesn’t realise Thomas Malthus was right

Ho hum, what will be will be.

Old 14-05-19, 08:58 AM   #18
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The real problem is of course over-population, and the fact that the next, larger generation will not only want feeding but also a new Hongqi to take the kids to school in one of the thousand Chinese cities we haven't heard of.
Corrected for you.

Yep, there are just too many people and it's only going to get worse.

I doubt humans will become extinct due to climate change. Even if civilisation breaks down, we are just too flexible. People will find a way to survive, maybe by farming Antarctica or making Greenland green.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 09:27 AM   #19
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

We're all screwed... may as well half a laugh about it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOjfxEejS2Y
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 01:21 PM   #20
Seeker
Mega Poster

I don't know whether his programs were shown here in the UK, but "Bill Nye, the science guy" was a regular on US tv (PBS I think). He would carefully explain science issues in a calm, matter of fact way and make it interesting. His programs were aimed at the youth market but I liked to watch them.

This is not the Bill Nye I remember (you may have to "show controls" and turn the sound on)

http://i.imgur.com/gFQ7OPN.gifv
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote