SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-05-19, 02:57 PM   #1
rw1968

Default Clutch weirdness

Got a problem with my '00 curvy. Its fine from cold - starts normally and I can ride it all the way to work at least with no problems.
If, however, I stop on the way (usually for fuel) when I restart the engine, the clutch doesn't seem to disengage properly. Once I've ridden a few hundred yards and been up and down the box a couple of times then its fine again - but the clutch drag when I start off initially makes it pretty difficult to get going again.
I've got a leaky clutch cover, so its got to come apart anyway to fix that.
Have any of you got any ideas what it might be, or had anything similar?
rw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 02:59 PM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch weirdness

I'm sure others will chime in but here's my clutch lifter page and with links to correctly setting up,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650ClutchLifter.html
Old 18-05-19, 05:02 PM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

Usual suspects will be filth behind the sprocket cover affecting the pushrod and clutch lifter mechanism, they'll benefit from a good clean up.

I wouldn't be overly worried about the clutch itself, but wouldn't hurt to have a look at the plates when you take the cover off to fix the leak
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 05:02 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Usual suspects will be filth behind the sprocket cover affecting the pushrod and clutch lifter mechanism, they'll benefit from a good clean up.

I wouldn't be overly worried about the clutch itself, but wouldn't hurt to have a look at the plates when you take the cover off to fix the leak
Old 19-05-19, 01:45 PM   #5
rw1968

Thanks for your replies - that clutch lifer page is properly useful.
My job for this afternoon is to take off the lifer and give is a good clean and check it on the bench.
I think you're right about the plates - I'm not unduly worried, but while its apart I might as well check them.
As soon as I've checked the lifer I'll start saving up for a new o-ring. I was a bit surprised at the price of them.

Cheers.
Old 19-05-19, 02:58 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

https://uk.farnell.com/loctite/48016...kit/dp/1370096

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/adhesives-and-sealants/gasket-o-ring-kits/o'-ring-splicing-kit-(imp-met)-1-bottle/ps/ZT1014484X?utm_campaign=pla-Adhesives+%26+Sealants+-+&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping-pla&utm_keyword=ZT1014484X&istCompanyId=6aa6787b-063e-4414-802d-129f235df603&istFeedId=8719e243-9ed6-485d-b654-4023447f0a65&istItemId=wxilarppl&istBid=t&mkwid=Vh 1kTjvy-dc&pcrid=314463651975&pkw=&pmt=&prodid=ZT1014484X& slid=&pgrid={groupid}&ptaid=pla-393336336174&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2J_o4fKn4gIVibPtCh0 M6g8GEAQYASABEgLqpvD_BwE

Company I worked for used to have these kits in maintenance workshop, it is surprising how well the glue sticks the material together and they are perfect for seals that don't need to move, but they are also pretty good for seals for shafts etc. If you have an old seal to check the length it is easy peasy, making one from scratch without a pattern the right length is reasonably straightforward.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 19-05-19 at 03:25 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-19, 06:47 PM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw1968 View Post
Thanks for your replies - that clutch lifer page is properly useful.
My job for this afternoon is to take off the lifer and give is a good clean and check it on the bench.
I think you're right about the plates - I'm not unduly worried, but while its apart I might as well check them.
As soon as I've checked the lifer I'll start saving up for a new o-ring. I was a bit surprised at the price of them.

Cheers.
Unfortunately I don't think the o ring will solve your clutch cover leak, as it's a well known week spot. The cover is plastic and warps with the heat, so the usual cure is to change the cover with a good one.

Pointy clutch covers will fit.

Try the O-ring first, just in case it cures the leak
Old 26-05-19, 05:25 PM   #8
rw1968

Well - things are going OK so far.
I've rebuilt the lifter, measured the play in it, then bought some new balls on ebay, rebuilt it again and measured the play again. Its better with the new balls, but still not perfect so I might buy a new one.
I've got a new O ring on order, and the plan there is to put the cover on the surface in the machine shop at work and check its flat before anything gets rebuilt.
With a following wind, I'll be roadworthy before next weekend.
Thanks again for your replies.
Old 26-05-19, 08:11 PM   #9
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I went for the expensive but worth it fix for my leaking clutch cover shortly after buying my curvy 9 years back. I replaced the crap plastic one with a Woodcraft alloy version.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-19, 05:17 PM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

I bought one of Nils alloy clutch covers with the Perspex window