SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-08-10, 08:22 PM   #21
Milky Bar Kid

Default Re: Speed Cameras - switch off date vs prosecution chase end date ?

Am I an illusion??
Old 18-08-10, 08:58 PM   #22
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_akira View Post
Q: Do the "Average speed" cameras that you see on Motorway (roadworks) apply to motorbikes, especially as our number plates are on the back ?
The cameras MAY not work, but the speed limit still applies.

Quote:
Q: Obvisously not scientifically tested but I noticed ( think I have) that you can travel through camera's at higher than the rated speed but as long as your decelerating. Remember those physics lessons with little wooden trolleys and spring and paper with holes in. The camera doesn't flash ?
The camera takes two or more measurements and they have to be consistent. Your license...

Quote:
Q: Limehouse tunnel (London docklands) 30mph cameras, how sensitive are they ! 31mph and flash. Are they actually working ? If your between 2 cars travelling down the centre white line who is liable for the fine ? For a few years now I've been flashed when going through there and never had a fine ?
Lucky you
Old 19-08-10, 04:58 AM   #23
no_akira

One thing that this thread has shown is that speed cameras are an emotive issue that upsets people even among the motorcycle crowd who you'd think would despise cameras.

The Limehouse docklands tunnel is I think the best example of the lunacy of the speed cameras policy in this country. Why is a tunnel where no pedestrians have access, limited to 30 mph, there are 3 cameras, start, middle (which is the one that seems to flash at 30.5 mph) and the end in a 1.1 mile tunnel.

2 Weeks ago I spent 2 days riding around Paris where the average speed even through their tunnels, never drops below 60mph. Even the 1.6K tunnel that goes under the business district, which left me gagging a bit as it was so unexpectedly long. At one point I was at the end of a 10 bike chain filtering through peak rush hour traffic again at 60mph. OK this probably isn't a good example as all it shows really is that Parisian riders are crazy. There were still a few cameras in sections where for safety reasons you need to limit your speed, mainly less shallow bends in the road.

Somehow during the last 13 years we have turned into an apathetic nanny state.
Old 19-08-10, 07:04 AM   #24
simesb

Quote:
One thing that this thread has shown is that speed cameras are an emotive issue that upsets people even among the motorcycle crowd who you'd think would despise cameras.
No it doesn't. I just shows that you are obsessed, yet fail to understand how the process works or why they are there to begin with.
Old 19-08-10, 08:11 AM   #25
Ch00

Quote:
The Limehouse docklands tunnel is I think the best example of the lunacy of the speed cameras policy in this country. Why is a tunnel where no pedestrians have access, limited to 30 mph, there are 3 cameras, start, middle (which is the one that seems to flash at 30.5 mph) and the end in a 1.1 mile tunnel.
I would think the cameras are they to protect the tunnel itself. Its a major road into East London that needs to be open at all times. If the speed limit is slower then there should be less crashes and less closure time fixing the tunnel.

Also the tunnel is under the Limehouse Basin maybe they don't want it to leak?

Why is the Rotherhide tunnel only 20mph speed limit, cause its tight as sardines in there!
Old 19-08-10, 09:43 AM   #26
Caddy2000

There have been some very nasty accidents in the Limehouse link, one involving a bunch of lads in a BMW who lost control of the car just before they entered. Half the car went down one bore and the other half down the other........
Old 19-08-10, 10:13 AM   #27
no_akira

I think another reason is to pulse the traffic stream for the 7-9 am slot as its a major bottleneck for people travelling into the city. But then for the rest of the day it can seem excessive.

As a bike braking to come down to 40mph on a dual carriageway this has always been a big safety concern (especially at night) that some cager behind you who hasn't been paying attention, wipes you out over what is just a civil offence. There are a couple of these on the A12 around the corner from the new 2012 Olympic site.
Old 19-08-10, 10:33 AM   #28
ranathari

Don't take your chances - there was an article in the Independent last week about the Oxford speed cameras. Although they announced they would be turned off, they left film in them so they could observe what happened to average speeds as a natural experiment.

A camera outside a primary school saw the average speed go from 30mph to 40mph, going from a speed that'll hurt a child to one that'll kill a child more often than not. Given most drivers are idiots unable to judge when breaking the speed limit is appropriate (while I speed, I'd never do it around a school), I think we'll see this funding decision reversed once some high profile child fatalities occur.
Old 19-08-10, 08:59 PM   #29
MR UKI (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranathari View Post
Don't take your chances - there was an article in the Independent last week about the Oxford speed cameras. Although they announced they would be turned off, they left film in them so they could observe what happened to average speeds as a natural experiment.

A camera outside a primary school saw the average speed go from 30mph to 40mph, going from a speed that'll hurt a child to one that'll kill a child more often than not. Given most drivers are idiots unable to judge when breaking the speed limit is appropriate (while I speed, I'd never do it around a school), I think we'll see this funding decision reversed once some high profile child fatalities occur.
It was on the BBC Breakfast news earlier this week. They left 2 camera's on (it was either in Oxford or Swindon, I can't remember which) to see what happened and there was an increase in speeding at the 2 sites. Although they did say it was purely an exercise to gauge the reaction to the camera's being switched off and they were not issuing tickets.
Old 19-08-10, 10:01 PM   #30
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
I suspect that the agency's may possibly have already stopped processing offenders because I can imagine your going to get lots of caught speeders, during August claiming that they were under the impression that they had all been turned off. Which possibly hasn't been set as precedence in court yet?
The courts, I imagine, would say "well you were still speeding".