SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-10, 05:53 PM   #41
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Speed Cameras - switch off date vs prosecution chase end date ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR UKI (1) View Post
It was on the BBC Breakfast news earlier this week. They left 2 camera's on (it was either in Oxford or Swindon, I can't remember which) to see what happened and there was an increase in speeding at the 2 sites. Although they did say it was purely an exercise to gauge the reaction to the camera's being switched off and they were not issuing tickets.
Was this "brake" or some other c***s like that saying this? Did they say WHEN people were speeding?

I drove past a school going 100mph above the speed limit once.
Old 22-08-10, 06:50 PM   #42
Jackie_Black

I reckon YC is right. Lets just teach the kids not to get killed and drivers to look out for the dangerous little *******s. Then scrap speed cameras and bring back proper traffic coppers. So at least if you get done you deserve it cos they sit in huge dayglo beemers and if you can't see them you deserve a fine.
Old 22-08-10, 07:34 PM   #43
Kalessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
BS.
You glance down at your speedo when you go through a camera. That's probably half a second, which is half a second further down the road addition to your thinking distance should a child run out.

I do not agree that both things can happen simultaneously. Your eyes can not differentiate between a moving target and other moving targets in your peripheral vision like that.
I didn't say you can look at two things at once; of course not. But you can be aware of your speed and be looking ahead for other obstacles.

As an example, say you're in a 30 zone and you're approaching a school. Let's imagine that you were already sticking to the speed limit, as unlikely as that may be. You've also noticed that there are signs warning of speed cameras ahead. Do you:
  1. Slow down. You were already doing 30, but there's ignorant motorists in SUVs parked on both sides of the road and you're well aware that a child may well run out from between them. You go through a camera, but you know you're only doing about 20mph.
  2. Stay at 30mph and keep checking your speedo. You're not going to get hit by the speeding stealth tax, but you're not going to waste time and slow down just because parents and teachers can't be ar*ed to teach road safety any more.

I thought the number one rule of motorcycle safety was to ride as though everyone around you is a d***.
Old 22-08-10, 07:37 PM   #44
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

So are you agreeing with me or arenalife?

Either way, the one driving like a tit is going to run over a child, and the one driving sensibly is going to stop in time. (neither being caught by a speed camera).

Or you could say, if the cars are going past at 45, then the kids will watch the road, as a car whooshing past at a rate of knots looks scarier than one at tickover.
Old 22-08-10, 07:54 PM   #45
Kalessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
So are you agreeing with me or arenalife?

Either way, the one driving like a tit is going to run over a child, and the one driving sensibly is going to stop in time. (neither being caught by a speed camera).

Or you could say, if the cars are going past at 45, then the kids will watch the road, as a car whooshing past at a rate of knots looks scarier than one at tickover.
Neither really

I would be inclined to educate the children before posting a 20 limit. I would also like to enforce double yellows for about 50 yards either side of the school gates -- on both sides of the road.

The problem with educating children is that they get distracted so easily -- seeing their friends, a ball, a parent -- and everything they ever learned about everything disappears!

Unfortunately, the same is true of many motorists. Once they pass their test, it's the start of a downhill slide in driving standards. These people need to be slowed right down before they have a chance of stopping in an emergency, and there's no way of slowing them down without doing it to everybody.