SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 17-05-10, 11:18 PM   #1
Amanda

Default Castle Combe

We're thinking of doing our first track day. Chris is even offered to pay for mine for my birthday!!! Wicked

The main issue right now is finding out the Db level of my exhaust since it has no baffles and no standard can. How do I find this out?

What else do I need to know about tracks and castle Combe in particular?

Have done some searching and realise things like "Take your license" and 2 piece leathers, etc.

Thanks in advance x
Old 17-05-10, 11:36 PM   #2
ravingdavis

Default Re: Castle Combe

I've done a track day at Castle Combe before, although not on a bike. Its a fun circuit to do. Only thing I found is beware as you rise over the hill on the gradual left-hander near the start, there is a right into a chicane if I remember well and it can sneak up quite quick.

I did a day there in one of their Formula Fords, it was much fun!
Old 18-05-10, 04:50 AM   #3
Red Herring
Mega Poster

With regard to the noise bit most "standard" race cans are around about 105db because strangely enough that's what the ACU race limit is. If however you've stubbied it or it hasn't been repacked recently then there is a chance it will go over, as will some of the more outrageous cans you can get (The Racefit on my GSXR is something stupid like 113db). It also depends on just how proactively they enforce any limit they might have at the circuit. The first thing to do is find out what it will need to be that day. If it's anything less than 105db then if I was you I'd find some kind of baffle or Db killer to take with me. Running around the paddock trying to sort it on the day is the last thing you will want.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-10, 09:39 AM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

They are very strict about the noise level. It is measured at ¾ revs from 1m from the bike IIRC they have some more info on their web site.

If you don’t have access to a Db reader, I believe that the iPhone has an application they may assist. Or alternatively they are happy for you to turn up before your track day to get measured. I did this and was told that with my exhaust there was no way I would get on their track.

Other than that the tack facilities aren’t great, bring your own food. The start finish straight is bumpy and watch for the dip on the exit of the Esses, oh and keep off the grass.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-10, 11:51 AM   #5
metalhead19

Castle Combe is a great track! watch out for cross winds going up Avon Rise though, can get very gusty.
Old 18-05-10, 11:58 AM   #6
cuffy

It's quite a bumpy circuit, Avon rise into Quarry does catch alot of people out. Also they put a chicane in at the last corner before the start finish straight now as when it was used in BSB rounds there wasn't enough run off and people used to bounce into the tyre wall.

As for checking your can for noise levels, if you know of someone who works for a big factory get them to ask their H&S dept to see if they have a db recorder/checker, we have one at our place which i can get my hands on but i'm a bit far away from you.
Old 18-05-10, 12:17 PM   #7
Rai86

I can ask if we can get hold of one for you amanda... maybe meet down RNLI ?
Old 18-05-10, 12:26 PM   #8
Rai86

Ooooooooooooooooooor, pop up to moore speed racing. Im sure they would test it for free
Old 18-05-10, 08:02 PM   #9
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Coolio, let us know when you are doing it, if we're free we'll come say hi, we're not far away

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-10, 06:43 PM   #10
Mej
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai86 View Post
Ooooooooooooooooooor, pop up to moore speed racing. Im sure they would test it for free
really?

might have to ask him next time im up there.

let me know when ur going Amanda, as i may tag along if u dont mind, looking to my first trackday soon as well and i have been eyeing up castle combe, or thruxton.

Mej is offline   Reply With Quote