SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-04-11, 08:46 PM   #1
missyburd

Default Changing insurance policies

Howdy folks, so here's the situation:

I have YBR125, had it for just under a year, and 1 years no claims. Unfortunately insurance runs out a week before I go away for 2 months (without need for bike) but I will need to use it for that week. Full licence gained last week.

It's likely I will be getting a new bike once YBR sold when I get back. If I have had a policy for 2 months, what's the crack with ending it, changing it for a new bike etc etc.? Will most companies be happy to do so with minimal aggro? Will i be getting a refund or will they just upgrade me to another policy?

Cheers in advance, bloody hate it when I have to trawl through insurance quotes grrrr tis worst part of owning a vehickle!
Old 17-04-11, 09:11 PM   #2
ImplodedHamster

Default Re: Changing insurance policies

i owned a YBR as my first bike after a year i renewed the insurance. i then had it for another 3 months when i choose to change to the SV, the insurance company i was with wouldn't insure me. So i canceled the policy got just under 8 months worth of money back and took out a new policy for the SV

hth
rob
Old 17-04-11, 09:28 PM   #3
aaron020873

in my experience whenever i have changed my vehicle car/bike, i have always kept the same policy and just paid the difference in price if it has gone up, and maybe a small admin (rip off) charge. No aggro though.
Old 17-04-11, 09:36 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

They'll be likely to just upgrade you to another bike on your policy. With a gazzillion pound jump in premium.
I take it you are going to have to insure the YBR for two months, even though you are away, to keep the continuity for you NCB?

I'm going back several years now, but going from the Honda Rebel, to the SV was easy enough. Taking on another bike onto a multibike policy was easy too, they just cancelled the old policy and wrote out another one, it was only taking on a third bike with a much higher insurance group that started giving aggro.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 17-04-11 at 09:39 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-11, 09:59 PM   #5
dyzio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
I take it you are going to have to insure the YBR for two months, even though you are away, to keep the continuity for you NCB?
I was thinking you can have up to 2 years gap to keep your NCB's?

Or is this about the continuous insurance enforcement thing?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 06:12 AM   #6
Dicky Ticker

Continuous insurance? SORN-statutory off road notification,as it says is for a vehicle off the public highway so if you have it tucked away in a garage no problem.
Insurance will carry your NCB over for at least a year,don't know about two years.
If you have no intention of riding the 125 when you return I don't think it would be worth renewing.Alternatively, renew when it expires and just transfer it over to your next bike.Who are you insured with?most major insurers do this for an admin fee and increase in premium but you have continuity of gaining more NCB at a lesser premium till you change your bike.
ALL DEPENDS IF YOU INTEND ON USING THE 125
Old 18-04-11, 08:05 AM   #7
missyburd

hmmm well i probably will intend on using it as no doubt any other bike I get will need at least SOME work on it (as is the Yorkiechris way) so I will still need the YBR for a little while. I can't be without transport.

I'm with MCE atm (yeah big mistake apparently) but they're great (until I have to claim

Imploded rodent thing, I guess I will go with what you've done. I might as well renew the insurance with MCE for less hassle, seeing as I won't be riding for two months anyway.

ALTHOUGH saying that, could I insure for a week then cancel my policy to get 2 months more money refunded?? Or would they seriously throw various dummies out prams then...
Old 18-04-11, 08:50 AM   #8
G
Mega Poster

In my experience... If you have an existing policy and want to change the bike on it... they will bum you for cash.

It's win/win for them, they get money if you cancel the policy, and they get money if you change anything on the policy, even more so if it's an entire bike change.

I imagine insurance for a 125 being relatively cheap though? so not huge amounts of money to loose by cancelling.
Old 18-04-11, 08:59 AM   #9
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post

I imagine insurance for a 125 being relatively cheap though? so not huge amounts of money to loose by cancelling.
To be honest, I thought me having a full licence now would reduce it by a fair bit...doesn't seem to have made much difference It's not loads by any stretch so I should be grateful I guess. I'll probably cancel the policy when I come back, don't want to go with MCE again really after hearing the horror stories...
Old 18-04-11, 09:03 AM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Petes with MCE....he has no problems, especially since being picked up twice in one day by them.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote