SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-08-18, 12:21 PM   #6111
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I haven't read the law but always understood that you can cut back anything overhanging your property but must ask the owner if they want the cuttings and offer them the chance, not just lob them over the fence.
I have a nice fairly large ash tree which overhangs the neighbour's garden. Fortunately they like the tree, but every year I cut it back to keep it in check, and always ask them how much they want off it. Some neighbours are not so co-operative.
I have a cherry tree in the front and I trim that all round as half is in my neighbours garden. It grows right under their phone line too so have to make sure that it doesn't interfere with the cable. I didn't plant the tree either as I'd never have put it there in the first place.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-18, 06:38 PM   #6112
shiftin_gear98

Got home, stopped in front of garage. Pushed bike in garage. Whilst closing the door noticed a couple of drop of oil on the drive. Take a look under the lower fairing. Balls quite a mess. Decide to remove lower fairing to take a better look. Stupid Ali fairing bolts both shear off from the radiator mount. No biggie. Until I notice the side nearest me is now dripping water from around the corroded radiator mount. Bollix.
She clocked 52,000 miles on the way home. Looks like she might be on her last legs.

Anyone ever successful sealed a minor leak in a rad and what did you use?

Hoping the jet wash at work will help locate the oil leak. Unless it blasts more corrosion off. Then I be looking for a box of matches and a rag to stuff in the tank.

These things always happen when you're skint.
Oh wait. I'm always skint...

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 01-08-18 at 08:07 PM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 07:45 PM   #6113
Red ones
Mega Poster

I've used Radweld for a short while, but eventually replaced the radiator (but that was on a car). I don't know what the price is for a new rad.

At that mileage for the oil I would check the hoses to and from the oil cooler. Not that expensive to do yourself, maybe £130ish at a decent non-dealer mechanic
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 08:15 PM   #6114
shiftin_gear98

Thanks Redones. Just looked for hoses, ebay fairly useless unless I get one from USA.
Fowlers they cost about £170.00 for the pair. Ouch.

I'll take a better look tomorrow.
Old 01-08-18, 10:16 PM   #6115
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Have a good look for the oil leak. If it is a hose I would replace just the one not the pair. I'm sure I'll be 'corrected' in a minute, but as you drop the oil every 4,000 miles anyway it's not a major faff of you have to go back to do the other hose at a later date as you will need to change oil at some point. If I remember correctly one of the hoses is more prone to corrosion sure to the shape, route and material.

For the radiator I have heard of someone using a Belzona product, but I think they were just showing off (look at their website to see some really nifty repair materials - fancy a plastic engine block that actually works?)

Last edited by Red ones; 01-08-18 at 10:19 PM.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 08:14 AM   #6116
ophic
Mega Poster

If it's the oil cooler hose it'll be the longer one with the silly bit of rubber on it. It rots away under the rubber. These are like hen's teeth.

As you can probably guess, I had this issue. I bought a whole 2nd hand replacement oil cooler off ebay with both hoses intact as it was cheaper than trying to source just the hose - about £40 I seem to remember.
Old 02-08-18, 08:17 AM   #6117
shiftin_gear98

Burnt the back of my hand looking for the leak once I got to work..... Grrr - sodding bike.
And yeah it looks like it could be the long hose, it's fairly fubar.

Gonna give it a good clean at lunch to really get to see. It's covered in ****e right now.

Seeker thanks for the link, i'll take a look. And ophic, if buying one whole works out cheaper that sounds like a plan too.
Old 02-08-18, 08:18 AM   #6118
shiftin_gear98

Seeker - I like the look of those hoses!

Anyone tried them?
Old 02-08-18, 10:42 AM   #6119
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Seeker - I like the look of those hoses!

Anyone tried them?
yes there is a few people on the forum that have used those hoses. in fact i seem to remember that it was a forum member that was the person that went to earls to get the first set made.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 10:59 AM   #6120
maviczap
Mega Poster

Workmen

Whenever my wife is on nights she has the unluck to have workmen on our road douing something with noisy equipment.

Today, some geezer with a bloomin great disc cutter doing something over the road, also annoyed the fecj out of me, as it was also spoiling the ambiance of a lovely summers day.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote