SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-06-18, 01:43 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Elderly Personal Care Help

I've just got back from viewing a care home with a view to a weeks respite care for my Dad (well, for me really). It was a nice place, they've just had a new wing built and all the rooms are en-suite. The bathrooms have a central drain so even if you forgot to pull the shower curtain you wouldn't flood the room. I thought at £550/week it seemed like good value - I had previously looked at full time care homes and they were quoting £32k/year (not that he would agree to that anyway). He gets assessed tomorrow by the care home and if that is ok I should soon be getting a whole 7 days free.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-18, 02:45 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I've just got back from viewing a care home with a view to a weeks respite care for my Dad (well, for me really). It was a nice place, they've just had a new wing built and all the rooms are en-suite. The bathrooms have a central drain so even if you forgot to pull the shower curtain you wouldn't flood the room. I thought at £550/week it seemed like good value - I had previously looked at full time care homes and they were quoting £32k/year (not that he would agree to that anyway). He gets assessed tomorrow by the care home and if that is ok I should soon be getting a whole 7 days free.
That's good news for you and that price is good having had to go through that experience with my mum last year. My mum paid about the same

If you didn't know, then if your dad has savings under £22k then he shouldn't pay, if he goes into care full time the local council should cover his care bills, if I remember correctly. Above that which also include any property, then he will have to pay. Unless your mum or any relative is still living at the property.

So we had to sell my mum's house, as her savings would have only paid for about a years residential care.

Even if his savings are under the threshold, they will take any pension payments as contribution toward his care, minus small amounts for newspapers & stuff like that.

Do not put up with the council asking you to contribute!

He can give gifts of up to £5000 I think.

But whats most important is the care home they go to, I visited 3 before settling on one, and I'm glad I did, as they really did care for my mum for the last 7 months of her life. I had no concerns about her treatment ever, any problems, me or my sister were contacted straight away.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-18, 02:52 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Elderly Personal Care Help - MKI

dont know if its different down south but i'm sure that if your a full time carer you get 4 weeks respite for free. in the last eleven years i have not had any respite but its getting to the point where i'm going to have to start thinking about it. i had no holidays last year. even when i do get a break its only a max of four days in a year but i do get most sundays off.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-18, 02:56 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
dont know if its different down south but i'm sure that if your a full time carer you get 4 weeks respite for free. in the last eleven years i have not had any respite but its getting to the point where i'm going to have to start thinking about it. i had no holidays last year. even when i do get a break its only a max of four days in a year but i do get most sundays off.
Yep, certainly my mum got a months free care after she was accepted into the care system, might have been 5 weeks free
Old 20-06-18, 09:30 PM   #5
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Is that true that it's ANY relative living in the house then you don't have to sell? My mum will need full time care, she had a house, but still with a large mortgage, she pays it from her pension and it leaves her very little money. My sister and two sons live with mum, my sister pays all the other bills. However if mum is made to sell her home to pay for care the money wouldn't last long once she'd paid the mortgage off, and the council would also have to rehome my sister and the boys, which seems crazy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 20-06-18, 10:35 PM   #6
Red ones
Mega Poster

My understanding is that anyone else who lives in the house as dependent cannot be unhoused by selling it to pay for care. That means that should the house be sold it has a resident which then reduces it's value to any buyer to practically zero and therefore worthless. The trick is to become tenants in common.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-18, 11:39 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

i think there is a statutory time limit, if the family member has just moved in then they can be evicted. however if they have lived there for a long time then they are fine. its to stop people "grabbing" property from the local authority.

your mother wont be able to keep up the mortgage payments as the local authority will grab every penny. this leaves the family member to either settle the mortgage or be forced to take out another.

if there is a mortgage on the property then the lender usually wants the mortgage settled when the person dies or even goes into care depending on the type of mortgage so the family member has to get a new mortgage. they cant just take over the existing one.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-18, 06:17 AM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Both Red Ones and Bibio have given good advice and my understanding is the same. As Bibs said you can't install a family member just to stop the council forcing you selling the property to pay for your mum's care. But as your sister and nephews have lived there for a long time, then they can't be evicted.

When filled my mum's care application out, then there are questions about properties and who's living at them.

A colleague's dad is in care, but her mum is still resident in the family home, so can't be kicked out. So the council pays for his care, although I don't know if his pension pays towards his care or not.

You council should have info on paying for care.
Old 21-06-18, 06:55 AM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

No problem, because having gone through the process, it's helpful to have peeps explain the processes.

We're all getting older, so it's going to impact on us at some point.
Old 21-06-18, 06:57 AM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

LPH, as our councils are cash strapped, don't be surprised if they try and give you the cheapest option first, which is home care, unless you mum has been assessed already and will going into care?