SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-06-18, 03:10 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default EU copyright directive reform

I wrote to all (6 of) my MEPs expressing my oppostion to articles 11 and 13 of the proposed EU Copyright Directive and one answered (so far). What's more is that she had read about it and agreed with me that it should be opposed (wow).

I'm a reddit.com fan (it's addictive), here's what someone posted to explain the two articles:

Article 11 would create a "link tax:” Links that share short snippets of news articles, even just the headline, could become subject to copyright licensing fees— pretty much ending the way users share and discuss news and information in a place like Reddit.

Article 13 would force internet platforms to install automatic upload filters to scan (and potentially censor) every single piece of content for potential copyright-infringing material. This law does not anticipate the difficult practical questions of how companies can know what is an infringement of copyright. As a result of this big flaw, the law’s most likely result would be the effective shutdown of user-generated content platforms in Europe, since unless companies know what is infringing, we would need to review and remove all sorts of potentially legitimate content if we believe the company may have liability.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 04:22 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: EU copyright directive reform

i think the powers that be need reminded that nobody owns the internet. all that will happen is servers will be sited to country's that dont have the laws. ooohhh look even more jobs lost in europe.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 06:12 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Over regulation is exactly why the EU is losing share of world trade, its own ideology is killing it. They could site the servers in UK after next March ( ducking now ). They have less than 10% of world population but act as though they own the planet.

Computers apparently not capable of handling trade across NI border but can check every website, e-mail and tweet for copyright content.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 13-06-18 at 06:15 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 09:15 PM   #4
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Computers apparently not capable of handling trade across NI border but can check every website, e-mail and tweet for copyright content.
No, they'll make the internet providers do it for nowt so moving the cost to the consumer in the end, just like all the governments do now with VAT where businesses act as unpaid tax collectors.
Old 13-06-18, 09:26 PM   #5
Red ones
Mega Poster

The academic world already uses systems to scour the internet for use of articles and snippets of them to identify plagiarism. The way round it is to not be lazy. Reference the source, summarise, paraphrase, reword.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-18, 06:10 AM   #6
daktulos

You may want to take a look at these people:

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/

They've recently had a win against passing costs on to ISPs for blocking:

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog...-supreme-court

They're not aligned to any political party and seem genuinely sensible.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-18, 06:58 AM   #7
Talking Heads

It should be remembered that member states are not obliged to comply with every diktat handed down from Luxembourg/Brussels/Strasbourg.

"Directives" require creation of an applicable national law within the member state and it is not unknown for states to fail to do so.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-18, 08:12 AM   #8
Red ones
Mega Poster

And what happens is the party in government at the time implement the directive although they could choose not to. The press then run endless stories about how silly the law is and blames Europe.
The party in government then say "let's have a referendum" and people vote out on the basis of what the press said.
Government then goes into a tail spin because they didn't see it coming and end up getting themselves into a job they can't win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-18, 09:35 AM   #9
daktulos

https://saveyourinternet.eu/
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-18, 11:37 AM   #10
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
It should be remembered that member states are not obliged to comply with every diktat handed down from Luxembourg/Brussels/Strasbourg.

"Directives" require creation of an applicable national law within the member state and it is not unknown for states to fail to do so.
EU states are obliged to comply with EU directives. The only bit that isn't defined is how. So each country passes their own laws to achieve it.

Article 288 I believe.