SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-08-05, 08:18 PM   #1
GC-SV

Default Not quite an off....but bad enough on the wallet

Well riding along 30+ in the inside lane when up ahead I notice a car stopped and turning right, and a Metallic gold Vetra (previous model) sitting behind it.

OK, be aware he may turn into my lane at any moment. I'm now right on him and no sign of him moving over. Thats what I thought.
Get level with his back bumper and the next minute he's moving into my lane.

I hit the front brake and momentarily lock the wheel, so I immediately let pressure off the lever. I think at this stage I am rubbing the side of the car and he still doesn't see me. So he's gradually squeezing me between himself and the kerb.

I then spot a road 90 degrees to my left and head diagonally across it mount the pavement, via a rather large kerb, rejoin the road only to see his brake lights as he slows gradually.

I manage to find 1st or 2nd and head after him and eventually, after lots of horn and finger pointing, get him to pull in.
I explain what he has done, as if he doesn't know, and then proceed to phone the police as he stands beside me.
He then asks what I am doing and asks if we can sort this out i.e. without the cops.

I tell him, sorry but I'm phonong the police.
After the call, I make a call to my wife explianing what had happened and observe the guy on his mobile phone. The next minute he gets into his car and f**ks off. Meanwhile I'm running down the road, stil on the phone to my wife, as he jumps a red and disappears.
I managed to flag a guy on a BMW down who went after him but came back sometime later to say he couldn't find him.

The cops show up take a statement and clear off.
That was 2 weeks ago and I have heard nothing, although I am looking out all the time for a Gold Vectra M reg. and a driver who seemed to be Turkish or from those parts of Europe.

So........damage, 1 front wheel and tyre + 1 back wheel and tyre + bearings etc. (£1100+).

To cap it all off my dealer says all parts are in except the rear rim which won't be here until the 26th. August, a bummer or what?

It sickens me to think that there are people who woulld pi$$ off and I'm the 1 that gets breathilised and asked to produce my insurance.

Right, thats that off my chest, have I any other options regarding wheels?
I was thinking about 2nd hand K3 or K4 ones and painting them black to match the K5 (which is what my bike is) or do I just wait, get all new parts, pay the bill and learn from it.
And by no means least, thank my lucky stars that I was not injured?
Old 03-08-05, 08:22 PM   #2
Carsick

did you not get his reg number?
Old 03-08-05, 08:25 PM   #3
jon

Really sorry to hear about that, worse luck. I carry a camera under my seat so if i don't have my phone on me i can at least get photos of the car etc.

Only suggestion for wheels is keep an eye on ebay. You'll be lucky for find k5 wheels but some k3/k4's + powdercoating them might give you savings (plus some really cool colour options )

I hope the police come up trumps for once

take care
Old 03-08-05, 08:26 PM   #4
karen

Scum of the earth,glad to hear that you are alright.
Old 03-08-05, 08:38 PM   #5
Ken McCulloch

Default Re: Not quite an off....but bad enough on the wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC-SV
Well riding along 30+ in the inside lane when up ahead I notice a car stopped and turning right, and a Metallic gold Vetra (previous model) sitting behind it.

OK, be aware he may turn into my lane at any moment. I'm now right on him and no sign of him moving over. Thats what I thought.
Get level with his back bumper and the next minute he's moving into my lane.
Well it's pretty tough to have to shell out all that cash but why are we assuming it's the other guy's fault? If you were coming from behind and could see he was obstructed maybe you might be a tiny bit at fault for not slowing down to let him pass the obstructing vehicle?
Old 03-08-05, 08:52 PM   #6
Carsick

Default Re: Not quite an off....but bad enough on the wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McCulloch
Well it's pretty tough to have to shell out all that cash but why are we assuming it's the other guy's fault? If you were coming from behind and could see he was obstructed maybe you might be a tiny bit at fault for not slowing down to let him pass the obstructing vehicle?
Are you talking about for insurance purposes or lessons we can learn from an incident purposes? For the second part I would agree to a certain extent. For insurance purposes it's cut and dried so long as the story is exactly as described.
Old 03-08-05, 09:14 PM   #7
kwak zzr

only just saw this post and someone correct me if i'm wrong but they didnt make the vectra on an m plate? it started on a n or p didnt it. m plate in 1994 was the cavalier.if it had a m plate on it was prob stolen or not insured.
glad to hear your ok tho.
Old 03-08-05, 09:51 PM   #8
chutz

what an ****. Sorry to hear that dude.
Old 04-08-05, 07:10 AM   #9
GC-SV

Only caught back up on this thread on my return to work.

A couple of things on your replies:

I was at the point of no return when I drew level with the vectra which was on the inside lane.
If you are on the outside lane sitting behind a car that is waiting to turn right and someone is coming up from behind in the inside lane, you have no right of way to pull into the inside lane until it is safe to do so.

I only got the 1st part of the reg. which was 'M'. As our regs are differnet here in N.I. I wasn't sure want year M was. It turns out from the police that the a combination of the letters that I gave to them has never been registered on a car either in N.I. or on the mainland.
I also had my camera phone with me but thought it was fine when the guy was standing beside me.

I have ran this through my head a 100 times saying why the hell didn't you photograph the reg or the guy himself.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, as they say.

All I can do is learn from it, and one thing I feel I may have improved on is my emergency stop.
I still feel I was squeezed against the kerb with virtually no warning.
I am going to, however, practice a load of emergency stops when I get the bike back.
Old 04-08-05, 07:32 AM   #10
H62

Just a thought but would it be possible to have the wheels repaired.

Try Nu-Luk Wheels in Carrickfergus as far as I know they also do powder coating as well.