SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 14-06-07, 07:36 AM   #1
Keith1983

Default American Helmets

Hi people cna enyone give me any information on buying helmets from the US? Are their standards any different over there? Are there any reasons not to buy a helmet form the states? Im particularly looking at an arai or shoei. Any information would be gratefully received.
Old 14-06-07, 07:59 AM   #2
hovis

Default Re: American Helmets

i wanted an arai but the colour i wanted was only avalabe in the us, but it would not be up to uk standard & the warannty would not be valid......... not sure about other makes though
Old 14-06-07, 08:05 AM   #3
Keith1983

I had read somewhere that the US standards were tougher than here so therefore it had passed harder tests? Did you get the lid or not? Why did the country it was in effect the warranty?
Old 14-06-07, 08:36 AM   #4
MiniMatt

Legalities of use of US helmets in the EU has been posted elsewhere. But as for standards. The basic US standard is DOT. This is poo. Not because there's necessarily anything wrong with the standard, but because it only requires manufacturers to say "yep, this'll pass" - not to actually submit any for independent testing. The "biggy" standard over there is Snell. This is roughly comparable to the ECE 22-05 euro standard over here (in turn roughly comparable to the BSI Type A).

Some manufacturers (and Shoei used to do this, not sure about Arai) will make the same model helmet differently for different markets to pass different standards. Be careful about words like "tougher" though - the Snell "tougher" standard involves impacting more energy into the shell, there's considerable debate that this is driving helmet design into unrealistic goals (ie. not protecting against real world impacts) when instead of driving more energy into the shell we should be ensuring less energy is transferred to the head.

Further reading http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html
Old 14-06-07, 08:47 AM   #5
Keith1983

Cool Re: American Helmets

Wow that's some serious reading! I think it seems to be that some helmets are better for some kinds of accidents, if we knew the accident before it happened we could choose the right helmet for that accident! Each diferent standard seem to have their own plus and negative points. Thanks for the information chaps.