SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-05-14, 06:30 AM   #51
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Halal meat

As long as it's cooked properly it doesn't worry me how it meets it end.
Ok rather that it doesn't suffer but if the way it's been raised is poor then it's suffered all its life
Old 09-05-14, 06:40 AM   #52
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post
This is exactly the type of paranoia that articles like the sun are great at instigating and fuelling. Do you really think that companies add halal meat for anything other than improving their business and making more money? They can't appease every minority by way of the meat they serve, and I'm sure they don't give a toss anyway. And don't worry, I'm sure our laws are safe.

Out of interest do you eat fish? You have no problem about suffocating something to death but won't eat a throat slit animal? If you care so much about the last few minutes of a chicken you never knew abouts life, why are you eating it in the first place?
I don't eat fish, fish don't feel pain the same way as chickens or livestock.

Anyway, that's my beliefs and choice about halal meat, I want Britain to maintain its traditions and identity, not adopt other countries ways (and laws, remember my words).

I don't read newspapers for the record, they are all made up crap.
Old 09-05-14, 07:39 AM   #53
Fallout
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
How is killing the worst thing you can do?

If you could guarantee it wasn't painful you could kill me tomorrow and I wouldn't give a damn (I'd be too dead to care). Pain is the worst thing you can do.
I guess that's up for debate. If you take the stance on death being kind of irrelevant because you're dead, then that devalues life ... and if life has no value then pain and suffering is kind of without value, beyond your pathetic worthless self not liking it.

What a bag of worms this is.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 07:44 AM   #54
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
I saw a article on the news today about Halal meat and the animals not being stunned. Some animal welfare dude said something about wanting to ban all instances of animals being killed without stunning them first on the grounds that it was inhumane. I actually laughed out loud.

I find it tiring listening to this kind of guff. How do you rationalise in your brain better ways to murder an animal? How do you get to a place in your head where you honestly think "stun then throat slit" is better for the animal than just slitting its throat? I'm not arguing that it isn't, I'm arguing that its feckin irrelevent. If you're going to take a herd of animals to get murdered and end their lives (which is the ultimate evil as far as the animal concerned) why make a big deal about the few minutes before it happens?

If you want to be a veggie on animal welfare grounds, then fine. Good for you. You're not murdering animals. You've made a stand. Fair play.

If you want to murder animals but do it in 'a nice way' then shut up.

For the record, I eat meat. Now hit me with your ridiculous animal welfare arguments and ease your murderous conscience by babbling on about nice ways to murder. You know you want to.
Ridiculous welfare concerns? Adrenaline taints the meat, you don't want to kill an animal that's stressed.

The ultimate evil is not the kill, it is being inhumane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs DJ Fridge View Post
I totally agree with Bib's comment of kill it, cook it, eat it, this is why when I have had perfectly good pigeon in my sights I have not shot them because I cannot cook them. I would however still reiterate comments that I have made on other threads, go to your local butcher not a supermarket, they can give you real details about what you are eating. Not a vegetarian, just a lazy eater who cannot be bothered to eat meat, I do eat fish it takes less chewing, yes that lazy, and I could never be a vegetarian, I love leather shoes and handbags.
Why not they, make good eating if you've got time to pluck them.
Old 09-05-14, 08:06 AM   #55
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I believe, Sikhs won't and can't eat halal, because of their religious beliefs.

Now that's a fact that mass media don't highlight. It's not just Christian and Muslim people that are affected by shops selling halal or not.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 09-05-14 at 08:14 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 08:08 AM   #56
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
Anyway, that's my beliefs and choice about halal meat, I want Britain to maintain its traditions and identity, not adopt other countries ways (and laws, remember my words).

Britain is a capitalist, free market economy. Certain places deciding to serve halal is a good example of that, so you should be all for it. It has nothing to do with this countries laws.
Old 09-05-14, 08:11 AM   #57
thulfi

And in the grand scheme of things, eating halal unknowingly is hardly a biggy when you're probably munching on a horse or god knows what else.
Old 09-05-14, 08:38 AM   #58
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Halal meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post
And in the grand scheme of things, eating halal unknowingly is hardly a biggy when you're probably munching on a horse or god knows what else.

Hahahaha so true

Reminds me of the burger scene from Demolition Man
Old 09-05-14, 09:24 AM   #59
shiftin_gear98

[QUOTE=Specialone;2953889]I don't eat fish, fish don't feel pain the same way as chickens or livestock.

QUOTE]

What!!, how can you talk of British traditions and not partake in one of the biggest seaside traditions of all time. What about a nice portion of fish n chips!! Your loss..

Personally would eat any form of meat however it was killed.
I would like to think it skipped happily in a field munching grass, sipping water from a fresh flowing stream, frolicking with it's kind, with a smile on it's face.

But **** happens.

As long as it's cooked properly so it doesn't give you the ****s....

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 09-05-14 at 09:26 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 10:45 AM   #60
timwilky
Mega Poster

Meat is meat, Halal, Kosher whatever!

I grew up taking a chicken out the pens, necking it, cleaning out, plucking and presenting to mum to cook.

Later on, it would be broom handle over a goose neck, stand on broom handle, body under my arms, twist and pull.

Pheasant, partridge, woodies, rabbits were staple takes of my teens/twenties. I used to do a few deer culls back then too.

I have always made quick kills and never inflicted unnecessary suffering.

My cousin was a pork butcher. The pigs walked in downstairs and were carried out of the shop upstairs. Everything but the squeek got used. Until the rules got changed a few years ago. He slaughtered all his own. One of my local butchers still runs a slaughterhouse. If you care about the quality and welfare of your meat. Buy from a local butcher who can tell you how/when it was slaughtered, what farm it came from etc.