SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 25-04-06, 09:50 PM   #1
cb9002

Default Bristol City Centre Parking

Hi Guys

Just downloaded the bike parking guide from the council website, am thinking about parking either in Frogmore Street, Unity Street or College Green - am meeting on the waterfront.

What do you locals do? Will the bike be safe there until late(ish) at night and will the (locked) topbox still be locked on my return? I have a kryptonite chain and can bring two disc locks if necessary!

Maybe see you all Thursday night too...

cb9002
Old 26-04-06, 07:48 AM   #2
Anonymous

I would think it will be fine in any of those locations although if they are the bike bays they are all in busy parts of town (good) but where revellers would be passing by (not so good). In the eve you can park most anywhere other than a few evening pay and display areas. I'd be tempted maybe to look for somewhere near Queens Square which will be quieter or just use a normal car bay if its not evening pay and display (varies). Is unity street near the old police station? If so I know of a bike nicked from there. But that could happen anywhere.

TBH I think anywhere stands a decent chance of being fine.

Personally I would ride in and give an extra 10 mins to look for a place with a few bikes and pick a spot that way.
Old 26-04-06, 08:00 AM   #3
anna
Mega Poster

around the new built up area of the waterfront (by @bristol) are specially designed motorbike bays and they have big heavy locks that you just need your own padlock for (very handy if you dont feel like carrying around your chain!!)
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-06, 09:23 AM   #4
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna
around the new built up area of the waterfront (by @bristol) are specially designed motorbike bays and they have big heavy locks that you just need your own padlock for (very handy if you dont feel like carrying around your chain!!)
Thats good to know and handy. Id go there then.
Old 27-04-06, 08:41 AM   #5
cb9002

Thanks!

If you want the official list, here's the link to a PDF:

http://www.bristol-city.gov.uk/ccm/c...set_id=7766004

BTW, does this mean you have to pay if you put your bike in a pay + display car park? In Bournemouth and Cheltenham, all the car parks have free areas for bikes.