SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-01-07, 12:55 PM   #1
gsv

Default Persuading the girlfriend to ride pillion.

I really wanna take my girl out on my bike but she is really scared of it. I took her for a ride in the summer and went realy slowly, (stayed within the speed limits etc) and when she got off she didnt talk to me for an hour. Now ever time i wanna go out on my bike and she is here it ends up in an argument.

Any1 got any advice on how to persuade her its safe? Its not like i'm going everywhere at warp speed and doing 100mph wheelies. I dont get it.
Old 30-01-07, 12:57 PM   #2
krhall

My wife is exactly the same and refuses to get on it - hence the rear seat cowl now.

I decided rather than waste my time arguing, I just disappear for a ride...........Saves her messing up the bike as she has to my car too!!!
Old 30-01-07, 01:00 PM   #3
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

You could find out what her objection is. Sometimes it's something as daft as she thinks she looks silly sitting there, or could be something more serious like fear of DEATH.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-07, 01:07 PM   #4
Ceri JC

I wouldn't try and force her. I don't like riding pillion and avoid it if possible, so I can completely understand how a non-biker wouldn't like it.
Old 30-01-07, 01:28 PM   #5
Tiger 55

Book her on CBT as a surprise gift - hey it's Valentine's Day soon - she'll be hooked and happy to be on two wheels any which way.

Also, a splurge on some leather gear and constant repitition of precisely how fabulous, beautiful and sexy she looks in it.
Old 30-01-07, 01:42 PM   #6
thor

I wouldn't bother. Just enjoy your riding.
Old 30-01-07, 01:47 PM   #7
sdusk

Default Re: Persuading the girlfriend to ride pillion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsv
I really wanna take my girl out on my bike but she is really scared of it. I took her for a ride in the summer and went realy slowly, (stayed within the speed limits etc) and when she got off she didnt talk to me for an hour. Now ever time i wanna go out on my bike and she is here it ends up in an argument.

Any1 got any advice on how to persuade her its safe? Its not like i'm going everywhere at warp speed and doing 100mph wheelies. I dont get it.
Safe? It's hardly safe - no point lying about it. Time for the new year's model perhaps?
Old 30-01-07, 02:04 PM   #8
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

If she doesn't want to, you cant make her.

I was lucky, I actually had my wife hasseling me as to when I would take her on the back once I got my license

If she hassles you now, imagine what it will be like if you have an off.

I know a couple of people who have been forced to get rid of bikes because "the wife doesnt like them" - one being the consultant I saw at the hospital (who had planned on getting an SV last year but wasnt allowed) and the other being a neighbour who had his mate die in an accident (I dont think they were riding together) and is now looking to sell his bike because he is not allowed to use it.

So if you had to choose between bird or bike.......

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-07, 02:41 PM   #9
K

Find out what her issues with a bike are first, and then approach each, easing her mind in a rational manner. Be informative but also support her decision if it's still a no-go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss
So if you had to choose between bird or bike.......
Bike. It's part of what make's me, well, me. So if you want that gone = nuff said really.
Old 30-01-07, 02:44 PM   #10
Viper

Get her to talk to Mrs Viper. I never thought she would get on the bike. (lost dad to a bike accident)
she has now been on the bike and is also a member of the .org.
It can happen